Re: fixing my "TM License" mess

Loftron, with respect to my two actions.

On Thursday 01 May 2003 09:36, Lofton Henderson wrote:
> Proposed new CP5.3 text
> Discussion. Unless exempted by custom submission terms with W3C
> Director's approval, a WG's submission license policies will necessarily
> conform to standard W3C policies for submitted materials, and
> specifically those procedures and terms defined in Contribution of
> Software or Test Materials to W3C [CONTRIB].

I asked that you remove references to the ad hoc solicitations and instead
reference the standard/generic contribution grant:
  http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/contribution-grant-20021231
Which you do seem to do above in your proposed text. Since you expressed a
requirement to reference actual experiences, this was used for
solicitations by the SOAP 1.2 test collection, as linked in the top of the
document.

If this was not what you were asking for please clarify.

> Proposed new CP6.2 text
> Discussion. Currently approved W3C licenses that may be applied to test
> materials are the Document License and the Software License. The Document
> license has two characteristics that are valuable to test materials:
>
> * It prohibits the test materials from being modified by the user
> upon download, therefore guaranteeing the integrity of the test mateials;
> * It requires that if the test materials are copied or redistributed,
> they must contain the link to the original test materials and their
> status.
>
> [Here is where there would be a 'use' caveat about Doc License, if we
> decide one is needed.]

(see below)

> However, there are situations in which the Document License is unworkable
> -- for example, there are Test Materials that require modification or
> completion in order to apply them.

"Furthermore, we have encountered a number of issues which would benefit
from additional discussion, resolution, and the development of a W3C Test
License tailored specifically to test materials."

[I've already suggested "inappropriate" instead of "unworkable". Also, I
don't mention the "use" issue specifically since I want to speak to Patrick
about it, but text could be added if appropriate. ]