Re: fixing my "TM License" mess

Patrick & Joseph in particular, heads-up please.  We need to find wording
mutually acceptable to PC and JR.  Proposed final wording of CP6.2 enclosed...

At 11:53 AM 5/1/03 -0400, Joseph Reagle wrote:
>[...]
>
>(see below)
>
> > However, there are situations in which the Document License is unworkable
> > -- for example, there are Test Materials that require modification or
> > completion in order to apply them.
>[Here is where there would be a 'use' caveat about Doc License, if we
>decide one is needed.]
>"Furthermore, we have encountered a number of issues which would benefit
>from additional discussion, resolution, and the development of a W3C Test
>License tailored specifically to test materials."

It isn't exactly what I had in mind.  After telecon, I had anticipated some
explicit mention of the 'use/right-to-use' issue, since that was the
specific target of Sun's comment.

However, I will go with the sense of your comment, but would suggest to
modify it only slightly to tie into existing text more
meaningfully:  "Furthermore, there are additional issues about the
usability of the Document License for Test Materials, which would benefit
from additional discussion, resolution, and the development of a W3C Test
License tailored specifically to test materials."  [Note -- I am NOT
mentioning the 'use' issue here, but rather trying to capture generically
the class of open issues, under "DL not usable for TM"]

See complete text below.  See complete text below, with JR proposed text
and [Alt: ...] proposal.

>[I've already suggested "inappropriate" instead of "unworkable". Also, I
>don't mention the "use" issue specifically since I want to speak to Patrick
>about it, but text could be added if appropriate. ]

Right, I'll make that change.

Proposed new CP6.2 text (w /JR proposal & [Alt:...])
=====
(Current:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-qaframe-ops-20030210/#Ck-proc-define-pub-licenses
)

Checkpoint 6.2. Define the licenses applicable to published test materials.
[Priority 1]

Conformance requirements: the Working Group MUST define in its QA Process
Document the licenses that are applicable to published test materials.

Rationale. Any W3C-hosted materials must have approved license and use
terms associated. Because there is no single license that is appropriate
for all test materials, the WG needs consider the options, select or define
a best license for its particular test materials, and clearly inform
potential users.

Discussion. Currently approved W3C licenses that may be applied to test
materials are the Document License and the Software License. The Document
license has two characteristics that are valuable to test materials:

* It prohibits the test materials from being modified by the user upon
download, therefore guaranteeing the integrity of the test mateials;
* It requires that if the test materials are copied or redistributed, they
must contain the link to the original test materials and their status.

However, there are situations in which the Document License is
inappropriate -- for example, there are Test Materials that require
modification or completion in order to apply them.  Furthermore, we have
encountered a number of issues which would benefit from additional
discussion, resolution, and the development of a W3C Test License tailored
specifically to test materials.  [Alt:  Furthermore, there are additional
issues about the usability of the Document License for Test Materials,
which would benefit from more discussion, resolution, and the development
of a W3C Test License tailored specifically to test materials.]

Test Materials may contain any of these three components: test software,
test documentation, and test cases. It is possible and sometimes desirable
that the WG apply different licenses to different components.

If the WG considers that neither the Document nor the Software License is
applicable, it should consult with W3C Legal.

-Lofton.