Re: SVG ad inf.

On Sat, 6 Oct 2001, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> My interpretation is that, according to this proposal, no Recommendation would
> be finalized if it was considered to be subject to claims of a member's patent
> for which an RF license has not been offered.

If RAND licensing is inevitable, then at a minimum I want to know exactly
which parts of the specification are covered, and exactly what the
licensing terms are.

However, I am deeply unhappy with the idea that RAND licensing may be
inevitable, and I believe that the W3C has the power (though perhaps not
the legal authority?) to insist on RF licensing in all open standards.

I suspect that the PPF will be ratified regardless of its furious
rejection by the open source / free software community. If it is, then I
hope that, at *least*, Chris Lilley's amendments are incorporated.

Unhappy,
Francis James Franklin

Deep in the human unconsciousness is a pervasive need for a logical
universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step
beyond logic.
          --- from `The Sayings of Muad'dib' by the Princess Irulan