Re: W3C Patent Policy - FOR

For those who cannot view the attached DOC file, here's the contents of the
first for-vote we received.

=======================

                         "100% For & Not Against!"

The WWW Consortium began its work in the late eighties/early nineties by
developing HTML code as an alternative to the then forthcoming "Office
Suites."

The group was formed, mostly of students, who were attempting to get their
papers done right...but, as the development of their coding progressed,
things got a bit complicated -- they had to deal with complicated issues,
such as FONT TYPE and CHARACTER MAPPING...also, COLOR (very, very
complicated DESIGN ISSUES).

So, some of them gave in to the hype to companies like Adobe, among others
because they needed resources.

The ones who stuck to their guns are probably the ones who are initiating
this, now -- it's a good time for it.

The idea behind imposing a nominal fee to view online art both online and
offline is a reality which should serve to teach the general public that
the Internet should be strongly self-regulated: we not only need to be able
to DOWNLOAD "good stuff" from the Internet, but we also need to realize the
following:

(1.) We have to become educated about Internet use in an academic sense for
any of it to be worthwhile and paying a nominal fee will help us to put our
minds in gear for this.

(2.) We need this as an option because it moves us further away from the
idea of government taxation of the Internet, which may partly or wholly be
within their goal.

Plus, here's the rest.

Cheers
Jason