Re: No Rand for Me

the head lemur wrote:

> The first was the LZW compression algorithm patent owned by the Unisys
> Corporation.
>
> The short and sweet is that if you have any .gif images created with the LZW
> compression algorithm on your sites and do not have a license agreement with
> Unisys, you are in violation and may be subject to prosecution.

IIRC, Unisys settled on charging royalties from the SW developers who
wished to implement "save to GIF". This left out free software developers
who couldn't afford, or wasn't willing to pay the fee. They moved over to
PNG and so have I. It's so much better, and support, though patchy, is
growing [NS4 uses plugins, while IE [4 or 5+] and NS6 have native support,
and so do free opensource browsers as Mozilla and Konquerer].

Cheers to all the good people working for this cause.

Jason