W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-multimodal@w3.org > June 2016

Minutes from the June 6, 2016 Multimodal Interaction Working Group call

From: Deborah Dahl <dahl@conversational-technologies.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2016 10:53:32 -0400
To: <www-multimodal@w3.org>
Message-ID: <0ca001d1c003$33164f30$9942ed90$@conversational-technologies.com>
Apologies for not sending our meeting minutes to this list on a more regular
basis.

Today Dr. Dirk Dr. Dirk Schnelle-Walka, Harman International, Connected Car
Division joined us to discuss his earlier comments [1] on the use case wiki
[2].

 

[1] comments:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-multimodal/2015Jul/0010.html

[2] use cases: https://www.w3.org/wiki/MMI/Use_Cases_Categorized 

 

 

http://www.w3.org/2016/06/06-multimodal-minutes.html 

and below as text.

 

[1]W3C

 

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

 

                               - DRAFT -

 

                                  MMI

 

06 Jun 2016

 

   See also: [2]IRC log

 

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/06-multimodal-irc

 

Attendees

 

   Present

          Debbie, Helena, Dirk, Kaz

 

   Regrets

   Chair

          Debbie

 

   Scribe

          kaz

 

Contents

 

     * [3]Topics

         1. [4]Actions

         2. [5]Use Case Wiki

     * [6]Summary of Action Items

     * [7]Summary of Resolutions

     __________________________________________________________

 

   <scribe> scribenick: kaz

 

   <inserted> This week Dr. Dirk Schnelle-Walka from Harman

   International, Connected Car Division joined us to discuss MMI

   use cases.

 

Actions

 

   action-440?

 

   <trackbot> action-440 -- Kazuyuki Ashimura to Tell wot ig about

   our bullet points for the technology landscape -- due

   2016-05-23 -- OPEN

 

   <trackbot>

   [8]https://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/Group/track/actions/440

 

      [8] https://www.w3.org/2002/mmi/Group/track/actions/440

 

   kaz: talked with the WoT IG

   ... and got OK to submit the bullet points on MMI

   ... still need to submit the actual text to GitHub using

   pullrequest

 

   close action-440

 

   <trackbot> Closed action-440.

 

   <scribe> ACTION: Kaz to submit bullet points on MMI to the WoT

   Landscape document on GitHub [recorded in

   [9]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/06-multimodal-minutes.html#action0

   1]

 

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-441 - Submit bullet points on mmi to

   the wot landscape document on github [on Kazuyuki Ashimura -

   due 2016-06-13].

 

   ddahl: explains the above action to Dirk

   ... liaison with WoT IG

   ... Kaz will submit the text

 

Use Case Wiki

 

   -> [10]https://www.w3.org/wiki/MMI/Use_Cases_Categorized Use

   Case wiki

 

     [10] https://www.w3.org/wiki/MMI/Use_Cases_Categorized

 

  ddahl: Helena and Dirk met before?

 

   helena: no

   ... Helena working on MMI discovery

   ... now CTO of an enterprise company

 

   dirk: post-doc research on mmi an ubiquitous

   ... also developed open source VoiceXML system

   ... trying to support more modalities for car infortainments

   ... focused on speech

 

   ddahl: the other topic I wanted to talk was a CG on voice

   ... use case and requirements for new voice applications

   ... like virtual assistance

   ... there should be newer standards

  ... CGs give us opportunity to develop specifications thought

   they're not official W3C recommendations

   ... put into a mission statement to launch the CG

   ... not heavy IP for CG

 

   kaz: add some note on the IP things on CGs

 

   ddahl: would like to try new things like SLM

   ... also probably some ideas on dialog management, e.g.,

   user-initiated ones

 

   dirk: state-based dialog management, etc.

   ... how that can be standardized

 

   ddahl: ok

   ... let's go back to the Use Case discussion

 

   -> [11]https://www.w3.org/wiki/MMI/Use_Cases_Categorized Use

   Case wiki

 

     [11] https://www.w3.org/wiki/MMI/Use_Cases_Categorized

 

   ddahl: would like to see Dirks comments

   ... esp. the first two comments

 

   ->

   [12]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-multimodal/2015Jul

   /0009.html comment 1

 

     [12]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-multimodal/2015Jul/0009.html

 

   ddahl: regarding UC-7

 

   ->

   [13]https://www.w3.org/wiki/MMI/Use_Cases_Categorized#UC-7:_Mul

   timodal_Appliances UC-7

 

     [13]
https://www.w3.org/wiki/MMI/Use_Cases_Categorized#UC-7:_Multimodal_Appliance
s

 

   dirk: multimodal approach to control your home

   ... we had SCXML runtime

   ... interacting different standards for presentation

   ... VoiceXML for speech

   ... BML (Behavior Markup Language) for avator

   ... EMMA as data

   ... user can control device within home

   ... this project has ended

 

   ->

   [14]http://scxmlworkshop.de/eics2015/submissions/Multimodal%20D

   ialog%20Management%20in%20a%20Smart%20Home%20Context%20with%20S

   CXML.pdf Dirk's paper

 

     [14]
http://scxmlworkshop.de/eics2015/submissions/Multimodal%20Dialog%20Managemen
t%20in%20a%20Smart%20Home%20Context%20with%20SCXML.pdf

 

   dirk: we use a lot of standards

   ... only few developers who know all of them

   ... how to discover devices and their capabilities

   ... dynamically

   ... coming from academic approach

   ... we took some shortcuts

 

   ddahl: gap section

   ... trying to sign-in

   ... gap or general problems for developers

 

   (updating the wiki)

 

   ddahl: probably the discovery draft would handle the first

   question

 

   (updated the Gaps section of the UC-7)

 

   dirk: need more data

   ... the user says "open the shutter"

   ... and the system need to identify which shutter should be

   opened

   ... upper Interaction Manager for MMI fusion

   ... serious problem with tree structure

 

   ddahl: we were never really clear about where the fusion engine

   would fit

   ... some people mentioned we needed a separate fusion engine

 

   dirk: that's a possible option

   ... if we have more complicated system, that would be tricky

 

   kaz: Prof. Araki and his Team had some idea about how to handle

   fusion/fission

 

   ddahl: yeah

   ... also was there a need for additional API or events for

   fusion/fission?

 

   dirk: we rely on a rule engine

   ... therefore EMMA within data object was good

   ... but maybe some dedicated fusion/fission tags could be added

   ... we should look into fusion/fission capability

 

   +1

 

   ddahl: probably we need something more than traditional

   lifecycle events

 

   kaz: kind like "merge cells" and "split cells" for MS Excel :)

 

   dirk: fusion/fission needs context information

   ... need some easier access mechanism

   ... can handle it using extension event, though

 

   kaz: wanted to ask about what kind of extension was added to

   EMMA and MMI lifecycle events

 

   dirk: introduced additional component to the tree structure

 

   kaz: did you extend EMMA?

 

   dirk: no, EMMA was sufficient

   ... just introduced compound XML format

 

   kaz: did you use additional events in addition to the usual MMI

   lifecycle events?

 

   dirk: no, data was bypassed

   ... to share the context

   ... extensionNotification was not very useful for our system

 

   kaz: ok

   ... so we should think about that "bypass" mechanism too

 

   dirk: bypassing event chains

 

   ddahl: something like a "blackboard"?

 

   dirk: yes, kind of

   ... context information could be shared using that mechanism

 

   ddahl: MCs can access the blackboard?

 

   dirk: no, only the fusion/fission manager can

 

   ddahl: I like the terminology of "upper Interaction Manager"

 

   helena: control layer?

   ... we need a high-level control layer

   ... IM can't handle every aspect

   ... the data component should provide contextual information

 

   dirk: data component within the MMI Architecture?

 

   ddahl: part of the IM?

 

   dirk: share the data to made it accessible by the upper IM

 

   helena: as a part of the control layer, you can store the data

   ... you can put into the nested structure

 

   -> [15]https://www.w3.org/TR/mmi-arch/#ArchDiagram Runtime

   architecture diagram

 

     [15] https://www.w3.org/TR/mmi-arch/#ArchDiagram

 

   ddahl: we're running out of time

   ... great if Dirk can come back again

 

   kaz: yes

 

   dirk: ok

   ... btw, there will be another SCXML Workshop in Brussels in 2

   weeks

   ... June 21

   ... one-day workshop

 

   -> [16]http://scxmlworkshop.de/eics2016/ SCXML Workshop site

 

     [16] http://scxmlworkshop.de/eics2016/

 

Summary of Action Items

 

   [NEW] ACTION: Kaz to submit bullet points on MMI to the WoT

   Landscape document on GitHub [recorded in

   [17]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/06-multimodal-minutes.html#action

   01]

 

Summary of Resolutions

 

   [End of minutes]

     __________________________________________________________
Received on Monday, 6 June 2016 14:56:07 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 6 June 2016 14:56:08 UTC