Re: Minutes: MathML general meeting, 23 July

That was in reference to someone saying we could add Unicode code points to
capture the various meanings of semantics of different characters. The
problem is that there areadly too many look-alike characters, so which is
the right one to use? Does every MathML system have to know about all of
them?

There is zero chance MathML generators will generate the "right" one in all
or even most cases. There's already a big problem. For example, if you want
AT to speak "x hat", what's the character you use in MathML for the "hat".
Or for the overline? See https://github.com/w3c/mathml/issues/247 for more
examples and details.

Right now there is ":" and β€œβˆΆβ€ (U+2236) for ratio. What percentage of the
MathML out there correctly distinguishes between the two? Do we really need
another ":" for maps, another one for field extensions, etc.

    Neil