Re: [MathML4] Removing some deprecated attributes

On 03/08/2016 09:07, Frédéric Wang wrote:
> About deprecated features, the recommendation says that "However, all
> (MathML-input-conformant) tools are encouraged to support the old forms
> as much as possible.". This is bad because supported features encourages
> authors to use them.

Not sure I agree with the claim that this is bad as a general rule.
Certainly in html there are many things deprecated and classed as
invalid in html(5) where the html5 renderer is still specified to
support the old behaviour <a name="xx" etc.

Although for any particular case it's not unreasonable for a renderer
(or a class of renderers such as
mathml-systems-embedded-in-a-css-based-html5-browswer) to drop some
deprecated features if supporting them is costly and they are in
practice not used. We just, in the end, need to specify whatever profile
of MathML is supposed to work for such a class
of systems (and how the MathML interacts with CSS)

David

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is:

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Microsoft Office 365.