Re: line breaks, embellished operators and space-like content

On 03/08/2015 15:46, Peter Krautzberger wrote:
> Hi www-math,
>
> On the MathJax issue tracker
> <https://github.com/mathjax/MathJax/issues/1228> we had a discussion
> revolving around embellished operators and line breaks.
>
> The example from a user was
>
> <math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
>    <mtext>A</mtext>
>    <mo>+</mo>
>    <mtext>B</mtext>
>    <mspace linebreak="newline" />
>    <mtext>C</mtext>
> </math>
>
> which won't have a line break in MathJax rendering because the spec
> seems to say it's one big embellished operator.
>
> My question is: shouldn't a pure linebreak end the scope of an
> embellished operator instead?
>
> Personally, I find it odd that mtext is considered space-like.
>
> It does not seem to meet the criteria of the spec ("typically render as
> whitespace", "do not affect the mathematical meaning" -- neither is
> typical for mtext). It seems even more problematic in an HTML5
> context, where mtext is one entry point for HTML mixing.
>
> Best regards,
> Peter.

Hmm partly the problem may be that the text that pulls in adjacent
"space like" elements into the embellished operator comes from mathml
1.0 which didn't have the linebreak= attribute (introduced in mathml2 )
or the more general linebreak controls introduced at mathml3.

So there is room for some creative interpretation I think. In particular
does the spec actually say that you can not break within an embellished
operator?

That's not to say we shouldn't consider an adjustment of the text here
but just as a matter of current interpretation.

David
[most definitely speaking for myself not giving the formal WG position
here...]

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is:

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Microsoft Office 365.