Re: RTL directionality in LaTeX

Le 05/11/2013 15:13, Daniel Marques a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> As part of the conversion between MathML and LaTeX, we need to express
> the MathML dir attribute in LaTeX (attribute used to express the
> directionality, for example rtl as right-to-left).
>
> We do not care at all that the notation is not an actual LaTeX package
> implementation but something that will be implemented in the future by
> WIRIS, MathJax or any other lightweight Web based implementation of LaTeX.
>
> Our suggestion is to use something like \dir{rtl}{x^2} for <math
>
> Dani

Hi Daniel,

Currently you can probably use the \mmlToken command in MathJax to
attach a dir attribute to MathML token. You can also do
\style{direction:rtl}{math} to attach the corresponding style attribute
to any MathML element and Gecko will interpret that the same way as the
MathML dir attribute (however, this won't work with other MathML
rendering engines).

Personally, your proposal \dir{rtl} (or even just \rtl{...}) seems the
simplest way and the parsing can be easily implemented in MathJax
(although MathJax will still need to implement the MathML RTL rendering).

I'm cc'ing Khaled and Azzedine since I think they had experimental LaTeX
implementations with RTL / Arabic support and probably know more about
that and might even mention existing LaTeX packages.

--
Frédéric Wang
maths-informatique-jeux.com/blog/frederic