Re: unrecognized actiontype in maction

On 31/05/2012 23:14, Frédéric WANG wrote:
> Another situation where this is problematic: in the test case, this
> behavior prevents mstyle@selected to apply on a descendant <maction>
> when it is set via javascript after the user clicked on the <maction>.
>
> https://bug748779.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=618260
>
> Can you confirm it is the intended behavior? Or should implementers
> store the selection value in a "private" variable i.e. which is not
> accessible via the DOM but still present when the user copies the MathML
> sub-expression (in that case, that's likely to be more difficult to
> implement).

If I understand you correctly then you are saying that after a user
interaction you want to act as if maction always has a select attribute
(so the value is never inherited). That seems perfectly reasonable to me.

In many ways maction is there to give a certain basic layer of
interactivity that is portable between browser/javascript instances and
non-browser implementations. As such it really doesn't want to be too
specified (in the spec) how it interacts with javascript as it isn't
assumed that a javascript event model is there at all.

In a browser context I think that the guiding principle would be to stay
within the constraints of the spec so that simple cases have a chance of
working in a non-javascript world, but otherwise be as much like the
rest of the HTML/DOM/Javascript event handling as possible.
so that the combined html+mathml language is as coherent as possible.

David
[personal response]