Re: [mathjax-dev] Embellished operators

On 23/02/2012 21:25, Frédéric WANG wrote:
> It seems that some people didn't get my point, so to be more accurate, in
>
> (Tree1) :=
>
> <mrow>
> <mo>|</mo>
> <mspace height="100px" depth="100px"/>
> </mrow>
>
> the | stretches to cover the height+depth of the mspace. That's the
> vertical stretching rule for <mrow>:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/chapter3.html#id.3.2.5.8.2
>
> But Tree1 is an mrow whose children is one embellished op <mo>|</mo>
> and a space-like element <mspace/>. Thus it is itself an embellished op:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/MathML3/chapter3.html#id.3.2.5.7.3
>
> Now in
>
> (Tree2) :=
>
> <math>
> <mrow>
> (Tree 1)
> <mspace height="50px" depth="50px"/>
> </mrow>
> </math>
>
> the same vertical stretching rule applies: the core of the embellished
> operator (Tree 1) stretches to cover the height+depth of the mspace.
>
> Hence there are two possibilities for stretching the <mo>|</mo>
> element: one in Tree1 (height+depth=200px) and one in Tree2
> (height+depth=100px). Which one do we choose?
>
> I'm thinking I have to choose the outermost possibility (100px) or
> stretch to the maximum possible size (200px)?
> How do other rendering agents implement it?

So I've just done some experiments:

MathJax v2.0 beta: stretch to the maximum size of the mspace's
MathPlayer 3.0 beta 1: stretch to the size of the innermost mspace.
Firefox 10: stretch to the size of the outermost mspace. (probably like
MathPlayer in earlier versions when embellished op support was not
completely implemented)

--
Frédéric Wang
maths-informatique-jeux.com/blog/frederic