Re: MathML for CSS profile

From: David Carlisle <davidc@nag.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 23:32:43 +0100
To: "'www-math@w3.org'" <www-math@w3.org>
> On 09/07/2011 11:47, Juan R. González-Álvarez wrote:
>
>> Could you give some concrete example of the code needed to render it in
>> FF 3.6.18?
>
> you don't need any extra code or css to render mathml in firefox (any
> version of firefox) mathml rendering has been suported in mozilla since
> before firefox started.

This is a well-known remark that avoids one of the main problem with the
CSS profile. As Hammond wrote:

  "My first observation is that, as I think everyone anticipated,
   the default stylesheet interferes with the rendering of MathML
   provided natively by Firefox."

Neither your first claim that its page needs another mrow between the
msup and the mfenced, neither your recent claims:

  "to try the css in firefox you need to use an example that uses a
   different namespace and adjust the css file accordingly. [...]

   If you use firefox, with correctly namespaced mathml
   elements, then the elements are _already laid out in math layout
   so the css has no possibility of doing the right thing.

solve the problem that «everyone anticipated» except, maybe, the MathML
people...

>> [firefox versions omitted.]

> the fact remains that by browser standards the FF3 code base is pretty
> ancient even if 3.6 is still supported with security patches etc.
> It's not particularly relavent here though, I just mentioned it in
> passing. As I note above, mathml rendering in xhtml should work fine in
> firefox 3 (or firefox 1 for that matter).
>
> David

There are very good reasons for using LTS versions (and it is the
reason which 3.6.19 will be released the next August for
business and power users).

Of course, you can play with nighty builds and betas at home, but
you would not wait everyone else to play...

Also you wrote:

> if you use firefox 4 or later mathml also workd in
> html as well as xhtml,

But that is not true for version 5 (the latest oficial version).

The conclusion here is that users can see the CSS-MathML page done
by Hammond using Opera browsers (3% of share) but cannot see it using
FF, IE+plugin, or Chrome.