Re: MathML-in-HTML5

"Roger B. Sidje" <rbs@maths.uq.edu.au> writes:

> I also gather that MathPlayer can't do much about this, as IE only
> hands them the MathML-island, right?

Are we to understand that WHATWG is running without cooperation on
HTML5 development from the IE folk?

> The starting patch that I indicated in the opening already supports
> prefixed tags, i.e., <html xmlns:m="mathml-namespace">, with
> <m:math>...</m:math> in the document,
>
> as well as the typical
>
> <math xmlns="mathml-namespace">...</math>
> with no need for a declaration in the <html> tag.

It's great that you have that.

However:

While in text/html the attribute markup xmlns="something" will at the
worst be taken by a user agent as a (relatively harmless) unknown
attribute, the use of xmlns:m="something" -- with a forbidden
character in an attribute name -- is a problem unless there is broad
acceptance that it should be allowed.

Furthermore:

In application/xhtml+xml there seems to be more than one understanding
among current user agents on the question (given the use of namespace
prefixing) of whether or not inside an "m:math" element unprefixed
subelements (at all depths) are mathml.

                                    -- Bill