Re: MathML-in-HTML5

I am all for for MathML-in-HTML5, retaining the <math> syntax as we have
come to know and enjoy it. But what I gather so far is that
IE+MathPlayer only supports prefixed tags, with the prefix declared in
the <html>. (If I understand it correctly, it doesn't even work with
<math xmlns="mathml-namespace">...</math> when served as text/html. Do
clarify if this isn't the case.) I also gather that MathPlayer can't do
much about this, as IE only hands them the MathML-island, right?

Hence, either I go off and add support for the plain <math>...</math>,
which will only work in Mozilla out-of-the-box and wouldn't be quite an
overture to IE+MathPlayer (without yet again content negotiation or some
JS trickeries by authors), or to get seamless interoperability, HTML5
may need a provision for prefixed tags (at least in the case of MathML),
and this is where we have got so far in the discussion.

The starting patch that I indicated in the opening already supports
prefixed tags, i.e., <html xmlns:m="mathml-namespace">, with
<m:math>...</m:math> in the document,

as well as the typical

<math xmlns="mathml-namespace">...</math>
with no need for a declaration in the <html> tag.
---
RBS