Re: MathML-in-HTML5

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006, White Lynx wrote:

> What we say is that having two versions of MathML will not help us to
> consolidate efforts, instead it will dissipate already small resources
> that we have today.

The proposal doesn't create a new version of MathML, it just provides a
new way of serialising MathML content, and generating a DOM from that
content (deserialising it). The MathML language is left intact -- the DOM
is the same, the rules for processing the DOM are the same, and the
semantics for such a DOM are the same.

> For example your proposal breaks compatibility with MSIE/MathPlayer,
> compatibility which was achived only recently, it took several years for
> them to recognize application/xhtml+xml and give people opportunity to
> serve the same markup to Mozilla and MSIE.

That will continue to work and continue to be just as conformant. The
proposal just seems to be adding a new serialisation/deserialisation
format, it doesn't stop people from using XHTML.

Anyway, I'm not the one you have to convince. If you don't want Roger to
experiment, convince him, not me. I'm just looking for implementation
experience so that, going forward, I can make educated decisions.