Re: need help with Math Player compatibility (via specifying the DTD on an XHTML page)

Chris Chiasson wrote:

> Robert Miner,
>
> Thank you for the diagnosis.
>
> The reason why I bother sending qs=.99 at all is so that regular IE
> does not get sent /index.xhtml over /index.html if content negotiation
> is taking place for a URL like /index (because IE has an accept header
> that says it accepts any MIME type with the same level of
> preference/quality it has for regular HTML).

FWIW, even though content negotiation is supposed to be
the solution, I've given up on it where MathML is
concerned;  it really doesn't have the needed resolution.

On the one hand, IE _will_ handle XHTML if MathPlayer is
installed, but not otherwise.  On the other hand,
Opera handles XHTML perfectly fine, but not MathML.
I'm sure I'll live to regret it, but I've gone with
browser sniffing for the case where the "+xml" means +MathML.

--
bruce.miller@nist.gov
http://math.nist.gov/~BMiller/