Re: pages with MathML

"White Lynx" <whitelynx@operamail.com> writes:

> We have problems with documents cited above.  Those of pages that
> are served with XSLT style sheet fail [1] in Opera [2] those served
> without XSLT look more or less like they should look. Removing XSLT
> sniffer and using proper Unicode notations (minus sign "&#8722;"
> intead of dash "-") would make them work in Opera too.
>
> [1] XSLT sniffing breaks MathML pages in Opera:
>     http://my.opera.com/White%20Lynx/blog/show.dml/144541
> [2] Version 9TP2 or later with appropriate UserJS patch:
>     http://my.opera.com/userjs/forums/topic.dml?id=124033

Thanks for raising these issues.

I was holding off on &#8722; waiting for distributed browsers to catch
up on fonts, but I think that's unnecessary now.  Does your comment
apply to _unary_ as well as binary use of minus?

Tangential: The unicode list I'm looking at describes &#45; as
"hyphen-minus", and I'm inclined to think that the "hyphen" meaning
should be turned off within the scope of the XML namespace for MathML.
But I guess there's no way to touch cdata that way with CSS.

Regarding the UMSS: I've been yelled at within the last four or five
months for leaving out the UMSS, and Opera was one of the stated
reasons to keep it.  Is that no longer the case for the distributed
version of Opera?  (For Linux I don't see version 9, only 8-something.)
How important is the UMSS for Safari?

Thanks.

                                    -- Bill