RE: ComLine tool Problem

At 09:39 10/29/98 -0600, olga wrote:
>It is not an answer how to solve it. I had same problem. I tried do several
>POSTs in a row (or GET after POST) and hanged in the first one. May be
different
>profile should be used? I used  HTProfile_newPreemptiveClient. I was not able
>to find out how to make it work so I implemented POST by hand (Get works
>through w3c and POST creates socket, opens connection and so on... It
>is ugly but at least works.) I am writing because I am also interested in
>solving the problem you describe. I gave up earlier because it was
>taking too much time which I did not have...

Hi Olga,

Because of the differences between HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1 it is not possible
to POST or PUT data using libwww in preemptive mode. The reason is not that
you are doing multiple POSTs or POST followed by GET, it's that the timers
only work when you have an event loop that can call you back. This is
impossible to do if the program is stuck in a READ or WRITE system call
somewhere.

The Web Commander, for example, can do many PUTs and GETs in a row but it
is using the libwww in non-preemptive mode.

You should be able to get some ideas on how to do this from the simple POST
program which you can find at

	http://www.w3.org/Library/Examples/postform.c

linked from

	http://www.w3.org/Library/Examples/