Re: Questions regarding to the Jigsaw Web Server Performance

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Nyam, Yanto wrote:

> Hello,
> 	I have a few questions regarding to how well the Jigsaw Web Server
> performance. My group project is currently using the Jigsaw Web Server. We
> are currently doing some performance testing toward our project which is
> running under the Jigsaw Web Server and we found out some problems occurs
> during the testing process as the following:
>
> 1. On the testing process, we set about 3 or 4 users at the same time
> hitting our project on the web browser (IE or Netscape). After getting about
> 3000-4000 hits, our performance testing tool is getting errors or losing the
> web pages. It seems like the errors is coming from the Jigsaw Web Server.
> Can you explain why we are losing the pages or getting the errors? Is it
> because that Jigsaw Web Server is unable to handle too many hits by certain
> number of users? The testing tool that we are using for this case is
> Portent.

Jigsaw is perfectly able to handle lots of request, if the server refuses
connection, it is only because all the connections are taken, you may
either increase the number of connection, or check that the client used
didn't start a new request without finishing it, while keeping the
connection open (as it will start the parsing of the request).
Example, there was some clients sending extra bytes after a request while
asking for a kept-alive connection, this cause a thread to be "eaten"
until a timeout occurs.

> 2. Why is the Jigsaw Web Server is dropping users?, for example: We set 5
> users running the performance testing and sometimes it is only 1 user can
> get through the web pages or the entire testing. The users basically do
> scoring on the pages repeatedly for a certain number of times and we
> sometimes lose 1-4 users during the process. Can you explain me why it is
> behaving this way? The testing tool that we are using for this case is
> WebLoad.

Same as before, the server is configured by default to handle no more than
30 request simultaneously.
Also I noticed problem of blocked threads using hotspot 1.0.
If you want more information, or more detailed ones , feel free to ask :)
small note: jigsaw.w3.org has been started 6 weeks ago and handles about
13khits/day without any overload problem.