Re: Jigsaw 2.0.1 problem on NT4.0

On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 kabir@our.st wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running to a strange (but consistent) problem on NT4.0/msie4.0
> when using Jigsaw 2.0.1:
>
> I installed software per instructions; server started up OK; initial
> root url also serves fine.  But as I browse the user docs, usually by
> the 3rd page (for example docs on using Servlets), the _browser_ no
> longer seems able to download(?)/display(?) image files!  In fact, at
> this point, the IE browser can no longer download images from ANY site
> on the net!  (It basically hangs on "downloading image...")
>
> Netscape 4.0 however doesn't display this behaviour.  Even when the IE
> has gone south, communicator seems to work fine.
>
> The only remedy for this problem that I know is to restart NT.
>
> This is very puzzling.  Any ideas what could be the problem?

The problem is due to a bug in IE, as discussed earlier in this list, some
browsers have problem with real persistent connection (the timeout is not
a few seconds like with Apache), and the image decoding routine they use.
It seems to wait forever after having downloaded 100% of the file.
One way is to add a filter that will force the cut of the connection for
images, ugly, but it work.