Re: [Help] Problems with Jigsaw configured as a Proxy server OR when a VirtualHost.

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998, Tarang Kumar Patel wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I followed the instructions in /Doc/User/proxy.html in order to set up
>  my server as a proxy server. The Proxy server it works fine EXCEPT that it
>  fails on "servlets". The symptoms are: It takes forever to process the
>  servlet, so I stop the browser.
>
>  [Q] Does one have to configure other rescources such as CGI-bin and SERVLETS
>      differently when the server is configured as a Proxy serv ?

No, if the local-root of your proxy-frame is configured, it should work
well, I just tested this even with servlets and it works fine.

>  [Q] Why does it take forever to process servlets when the server is
>      configured as a proxy server ?

Well, it doesn't :) Maybe there is a problem in your configuration,
elsewhere.

>  Secondly, I reverted to the default configuration of "root"  and configured
>  my server with "Virtual hosting" /Doc/User/virtual-hosting.html, however
>  this fails as the DNS does not recognize the virtual host.domain I'm making
>  use of.
>
>  [Q] How does one make use of virtual hosting, without first registering
>      the host.domain to an IP address in some host name server ?

Well, your machine MUST have aliases declared, so you must have registered
its aliases names. If it is a local alias, ask your sysadmin, if you want
to alias it to another network name, well, register it and ask your
sysadmin on the way it can be done.

>   On Unix systems I suspect its sufficient for me to set that up in /etc/hosts
>   file, then at least the virtual hosting will be visible from my localhost.

yes, but that is not the best way to do such things :)

>  [Q] Can one choose any name for their Virtualhost ?

Well, no. It has to be registered somewhere.