[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2022-02-24


  – DRAFT –
            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

24 February 2022

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://www.w3.org/events/meetings/5e4758ba-3e80-4e71-b333-5f2c4fd95abd/20220224T150000
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2022/02/24-i18n-irc


           Addison, Atsushi, Bert, Eemeli, JcK, Richard


           Addison Phillips



     1. [4]Agenda Review
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]RADAR Review
     5. [8]Time Change?
     6. [9]String-Meta Explainer
     7. [10]WOT Thing Description Review
     8. [11]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

    <addison> preset+ Fuqiao

   Agenda Review

   Action Items

    <addison> [12]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/

      [12] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    addison: 925?

    ACTION: richard: find outstanding PRs for string-meta and merge
    as appropriate

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1122 - Find outstanding prs for
    string-meta and merge as appropriate [on Richard Ishida - due

    richard: please assign an action for checking which PR for

    addison: spec-dev?

    addison: 1017, will work on next week
    … 1094, in agenda
    … 1103, about explainer, in agenda
    … 1109, not seen any action from anyone, need to do
    … 1115, need to investigage
    … 1118, canvas-format-text, xfq?

    xfq: not yet get details

    addison: will back to provide details, as in action text
    … 1120, not in agenda, will be next week
    … 1121, urlpattern, will do

   Info Share

    addison: timezone (DST) will come soon
    … as in agenda
    … reapprove current model?

    richard: watching progress on noto nastaliq and Kashmiri
    … currently, new version of font is released
    … lang tag ks
    … released with one bug, one character is assigned as
    non-connected form
    … one example for importance of lang tag

    addison: importance of lang tag is usually mentioned with CJK
    difference, but this could be an additional one

    bert: in font file

    [richard shares an example with screen sharing]

   RADAR Review

    <addison> [13]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [13] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    addison: no new incoming request

    addison: secure payment confirmation, discussed to submit last
    … bert, any on NAUR?

    bert: might mention one on accent, but seems not so important

    addison: wot things description, pending reviews last week, not
    moved these into repository yet

    addison: CSS variables, not yet opened review issues

    addison: for awaiting comment resolution, if you have any
    update, please review these
    … please agenda+ if any update

   Time Change?

    addison: time change on DST
    … generally keeping this meeting at the same time as London
    time zone
    … for US, time will change for couple of weeks

    eemeli: in finland, the same as London
    … one meeting immediately after this also follows Europian, so
    no issue

   String-Meta Explainer

    <addison> [14]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-discuss/blob/

      [14] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-discuss/blob/gh-pages/explainers/string-meta-explainer.md

    bert: title and incompleted sections, @@@

    richard: started putting insertion markups
    … suggest to further rearrangement of contents
    … what solutions is a good followup, but all of the rest from
    background, to fill up document
    … ECMA one
    … xxx would be one example to soleve, etc.

    richard: couple of other things, not clear why it's relevant
    here, metadata and base direction
    … isolation is not from base direction

    addison: if I have document, and data value, if I want to bidi
    isolation, need base direction

    richard: not asking for isolation

    addison: not generally in text


    <r12a> [15]https://r12a.github.io/scripts/arabic/#direction

      [15] https://r12a.github.io/scripts/arabic/#direction

    [discussion on isolation and directon metadata]

    <r12a> [16]https://r12a.github.io/scripts/arabic/

      [16] https://r12a.github.io/scripts/arabic/kashmiri#direction

    richard: good to have some examples, not linking

    addison: not to include in explainers
    … collapsing a bit

    richard: to raise message, there needs at least one example
    … fine even if no

    [related on a11y feature]

    [hyphenation and spacing]

    addison: should I tidy up and tag?

    bert: the text mentions an "appendix" but there is none.?

    xfq: looks like an empty sections

   WOT Thing Description Review

    <addison> [17]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/

      [17] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues?q=is:issue+is:open+label:pending+label:s:wot-thing-description

    addison: last time considering on these issues

    <addison> [18]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1465

      [18] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1465

    addison: looking at 1465, and skipped from here

    ACTION: richard: look at pending issue 1465

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1123 - Look at pending issue 1465 [on
    Richard Ishida - due 2022-03-03].

    richard: supposed to do, any action was assigned for this?

    addison: two comment here, provide metadata and recommending
    lang tag but not direction

    richard: we don't recommend lang tag, but recommend metadata
    … this huristic means from language

    <addison> [19]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1466

      [19] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1466

    addison: 1466, no definition on well-formed lang tag

    <addison> [20]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1467

      [20] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1467

    richard: in glossary, linked terms related to these

    addison: 1467 is on no metadata

    xfq: why they didn't use?

    addison: no idea
    … we did discussion in TPAC some years ago

    addison: any objection on saying that

    <addison> [21]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1468

      [21] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1468

    addison: 1468

    richard: last paragraph says, fr

    addison: that's another item on localizable data
    … some has large set, some might small

    addison: to supply a series of comment on this area?
    … expand comments

    <addison> [22]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1469

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1469

    addison: 1469, provide link of documentation but without

    xfq: like href lang?

    addison: something
    … this is a physical link to doc, with a multiple languages

    Jck: ...

    addison: hardcoaded link of user documents

    <addison> [23]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1470

      [23] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1470

    addison: 1470, editorial one

    <addison> [24]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1471

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/1471

    addison: 1471, did talk last time
    … json pointer in uri

    richard: last time, discussed on uri for no mention on unicode

    addison: did see Nigel's comment to address things?

    richard: for normatively reference, redefine could be one

    addison: add these to glossary?

    <addison> [25]https://github.com/w3c/imsc-hrm/pull/

      [25] https://github.com/w3c/imsc-hrm/pull/42#discussion_r811349145

    [discussion on normative and non-rec-track]

Summary of action items

     1. [26]richard: find outstanding PRs for string-meta and merge
        as appropriate
     2. [27]richard: look at pending issue 1465

Received on Thursday, 3 March 2022 17:19:07 UTC