[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2022-03-03


                              – DRAFT –
            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

03 March 2022

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://www.w3.org/events/meetings/5e4758ba-3e80-4e71-b333-5f2c4fd95abd/20220303T150000
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2022/03/03-i18n-irc


           Addison, Atsushi, Erik, Fuqiao, Richard, xfq


           Addison Phillips



     1. [4]Agenda Review
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]RADAR Review
     5. [8]explainer
     6. [9]PRs for string meta
     7. [10]HTML input type=email
     8. [11]AOB?
     9. [12]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

    <addison> trackbot, prepare teleconference

   Agenda Review

    addison: does anybody have anything that they would like to add
    to the agenda?

   Action Items

    <addison> [13]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/

      [13] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    addison: ACTION-925 is blocked by PRs
    … ACTION-1017 not finished yet
    … ACTION-1094 is waiting on the explainer
    … ACTION-1115 is a topic for later

    ACTION: addison: figure out what fuqiao's action item is and
    send him a note

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1124 - Figure out what fuqiao's
    action item is and send him a note [on Addison Phillips - due

    addison: ACTION-1120 is on the agenda

    close ACTION-1121

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-1121.

    close ACTION-1122

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-1122.

    close ACTION-1123

    <trackbot> Closed ACTION-1123.

   Info Share

    addison: I attended WoT teleconferences yesterday
    … for adopting JSON-LD metadata
    … directional markup for JSON-LD serialization work
    … a couple of issues are still investigatory
    … basically it's a successful engagement with them


      [14] https://www.unicode.org/L2/L2022/22007r2-avoiding-spoof.pdf

    xfq: The Unicode folks has convened a group of experts in
    programming languages, tooling, and security to provide
    guidance and recommendations on how to better handle
    international text in source code.

    <atsushi> [15]https://github.com/w3c/ruby-t2s-req/issues/31

      [15] https://github.com/w3c/ruby-t2s-req/issues/31

    atsushi: murata-san is working on ruby t2s req
    … he's wondering the terminology
    … we need to develop some english wording
    … like assigning ruby to every terms
    … if you have time please check this issue

    atsushi: we discussed about terminology
    … discussed the terminology in css-ruby-1

    addison: in the past we've often adopted the romonized versions
    of the Japanese terms for specific Japapnese typographic
    handling of ruby
    … my tendency is to use the Japanese terms or the Chinese terms

    r12a: in this case the concept applies to both chinese and
    … generally chinese people do not to general-ruby
    … but it is not a japanese term and exists in chinese

    atsushi: it would be great to have some general consensus of
    using romaji or something else

    <r12a> [16]https://w3c.github.io/jlreq/#term.para-ruby

      [16] https://w3c.github.io/jlreq/#term.para-ruby

    addison: if we have a glossary it would be easier to discuss

    r12a: something like i just pasted on irc

    <r12a> [17]https://w3c.github.io/jlreq/#term.general-ruby

      [17] https://w3c.github.io/jlreq/#term.general-ruby

    addison: yeah

    <atsushi> [18]https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15153621/

      [18] https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15153621/

    atsushi: there may be some developments in external
    publications like ^

    addison: we don't have to invent stuff that exists

    r12a: wonder if we should use the word annotation or ruby

    atsushi: if you have any comment please comment in the github

   RADAR Review

    <addison> [19]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

      [19] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    addison: Urlpattern

    xfq: I can review this

    Bert: I'll be out starting next Wednesday for one week and a

    addison: CSS variables
    … we have pending issues in the agenda for today

    r12a: as I mentioned before Noto Nastaliq Urdu font has been
    updated to support Kashmiri
    … what I got was just the diacritics
    … I don't know what the problem is but maybe the WebFont was
    … then I used fonttools
    … it's a command line tool that you can install
    … i have yet to write down how you install it and how you use


    <addison> [20]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-discuss/blob/

      [20] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-discuss/blob/gh-pages/explainers/string-meta-explainer.md

    r12a: there seems to be a problem with macOS
    … you can install a new version of Noto Nastaliq Urdu font, but
    the system would use a really old version that it had installed
    … sharing this so that you don't spend hours like I did trying
    to figure out what's going on

    addison: a series of edits to the explainer
    … i kept the spillover effect portion and did a little bit of
    editing around it

    r12a: this looks better
    … there's still an ins tag

    addison: i'll find it and destroy it

   PRs for string meta

    addison: i'll file an issue against the TAG

    r12a: there really is a lot going on in string-meta
    … lots of glossary work

    <r12a> [21]https://github.com/w3c/string-meta/pull/56

      [21] https://github.com/w3c/string-meta/pull/56

    <addison> [22]https://github.com/w3c/string-meta/pull/56

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/string-meta/pull/56

    r12a: i wanted to first of all talk about how we do glossary
    … we add a bunch of glossary terms to the terminology section
    … but the definitions also exist in the glossary now
    … i think we shouldn't
    … would be relevant to move @@ to the place where we use the

    addison: i'm happy to put general definitions in the glossary
    and remove them from here
    … my real problem here is we created this PR to add the warning
    … i forgot we had a PR

    addison: i want to merge this and do fresh edits
    … i'm happy to take the action to fix up the glossary stuff
    … and remove the definitions again
    … if you want me to do that before we merge this i can do that

    r12a: there's a lot of stuff in this PR

    addison: Specifications SHOULD NOT use the Unicode "language
    tag" characters

    r12a: like i said that's reasonable ok
    … if you deal with the terminology stuff then let's just merge

    addison: i will fix the terminology and then i'll merge this

    atsushi: diff link includes the commit hash, so should be fine

    ACTION: addison: fix glossary/terminology section in
    string-meta PR and merge the results

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1125 - Fix glossary/terminology
    section in string-meta pr and merge the results [on Addison
    Phillips - due 2022-03-10].

    addison: what about the other PRs?

    <r12a> [23]https://github.com/w3c/string-meta/pull/52

      [23] https://github.com/w3c/string-meta/pull/52

    r12a: i guess i need to ask you whether you're happy

    <addison> [24]https://github.com/w3c/string-meta/pull/56

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/string-meta/pull/56

    <addison> [25]https://w3c.github.io/

      [25] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-glossary/#def_bidirectional_text

    addison: i think your PR was the definition that is now in the

    <r12a> [26]https://github.com/w3c/string-meta/pull/48

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/string-meta/pull/48

    r12a: i would merge this PR
    … if we can resolve the merge conflicts

    ACTION: addison: resolve conflicts in string-meta PR #48 and

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1126 - Resolve conflicts in
    string-meta pr #48 and merge [on Addison Phillips - due

    addison: ok


      [27] https://github.com/w3c/string-meta/pull/35

    r12a: it's suggested by Manu a long time ago
    … once we've done other stuff we can look at this
    … and you see why i wanted to have a clean document to start

    addison: yeah
    … i feel a little bit of urgency because we're going to ask the
    TAG about this

   HTML input type=email

    addison: as a reminder when we last looking at this
    … the left hand side of email address was still restricted to
    … the proposal was to fix this
    … the right hand side is validated by the domain names,
    browsers already do that
    … Erik i don't know if you have any insight about this

    Erik: I don't have

    addison: if it's reached production that would save a great
    deal of going back and asking the world to fix it

    <addison> [28]https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/845

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/845

    <addison> [29]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/607

      [29] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/607

    <addison> [30]https://github.com/danschultzer/pow/issues/253

      [30] https://github.com/danschultzer/pow/issues/253

    <addison> [31]https://github.com/dotnet/aspnetcore/issues/9107

      [31] https://github.com/dotnet/aspnetcore/issues/9107


    r12a: i've asked xfq to run i18n spec reviews
    … we have three main areas
    … language enablement
    … education & outreach
    … and developer support including spec reviews

    addison: thank you

Summary of action items

     1. [32]addison: figure out what fuqiao's action item is and
        send him a note
     2. [33]addison: fix glossary/terminology section in
        string-meta PR and merge the results
     3. [34]addison: resolve conflicts in string-meta PR #48 and

Received on Thursday, 3 March 2022 17:20:12 UTC