[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2021-04-15


            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

15 April 2021

    [2]Agenda. [3]IRC log.

       [2] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2021Apr/0002.html
       [3] https://www.w3.org/2021/04/15-i18n-irc


           Addison, Atsushi, Felix, fsasaki, Fuqiao, JcK, Richard


           Addison Phillips

           addison, xfq


     1. [4]Agenda Review
     2. [5]Action Items
     3. [6]Info Share
     4. [7]RADAR Review
     5. [8]Article style redesign
     6. [9]Directionality of number sequences
     7. [10]AOB?
     8. [11]Summary of action items

Meeting minutes

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

   Agenda Review

   Action Items


      [12] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    addison: had some interactions with Mark


    <trackbot> [13]action-1014: Richard Ishida to Reopen csswg 5570
    against cascade-4/5 -- due 2021-04-15 -- OPEN

      [13] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/1014

    r12a: I left a message on the thread asking fantasai

    richard: left a message for fantasai to change the label

    close action-1014

    <trackbot> Closed action-1014.

   Info Share

   RADAR Review


      [14] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

    addison: moving EPUB to "Awaiting comment resolution"

    r12a: got an invitation from Ian to join a channel
    … are we supposed to be meeting with the Payments folks?

    addison: in an hour

   Article style redesign

    <r12a> [15]https://www.w3.org/International/questions/

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-http-and-lang.en

    <r12a> [16]https://www.w3.org/International/questions/

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-html-dir.en

    r12a: I happen to be looking at this article ^
    … it's out of date
    … I thought about logical properties
    … the stylesheet could be updated

    <r12a> [17]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/style/new/

      [17] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/style/new/top.png

    r12a: talked with Kenzo today
    … this is what I came up with ^

    <r12a> [18]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/style/new/

      [18] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/style/new/top.png

    <r12a> [19]https://www.w3.org/International/questions/

      [19] https://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-http-and-lang.en

    <r12a> [20]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/style/new/

      [20] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/style/new/middle.png

    <r12a> [21]https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/style/new/

      [21] https://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/style/new/bottom.png

    r12a: I wonder if I should go ahead and make those changes
    … or whether you need a bit more time to look at it
    … try to reduce the distraction
    … especially the top of the page
    … the new style shouldn't be hard to implement
    … should be just a question of changing the stylesheet

    addison: it looks pretty

    <atsushi> +1

    <fsasaki> +1

    addison: i like it
    … any objections?

    <xfq> +1

    Action: richard: fix stylesheets using logical properties etc.

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1016 - Fix stylesheets using logical
    properties etc. [on Richard Ishida - due 2021-04-22].

    zak fsasaki

    r12a: i'll fix all the stylesheets and the logical properties
    at the same time

    fsasaki: which logical properties will be used

    r12a: inline-start, block-end etc.

   Directionality of number sequences

    r12a: did you have a look at it?

    addison: I did


      [22] https://r12a.github.io/scripts/arabic/#expressions

    <r12a> [23]https://r12a.github.io/scripts/arabic/#expressions

      [23] https://r12a.github.io/scripts/arabic/#expressions

    r12a: i found myself thinking perhaps we should have an article
    or add this into string-meta
    … this is a large block of text

    r12a: this is in one of my articles about writing systems

    r12a: the order is controlled by the solidus
    … the direction cannot be changed using RLM
    … Solidus, colon, etc.

    addison: zero width space doesn't break the run
    … you might be able to use it

    r12a: wrt hyphen, it depends on what hyphen you're talking
    … ascii hyphen vs. Unicode hyphen
    … behavior is different
    … the reason is because of the minus thing

    JcK: makes sense
    … go back and look at my notes hyphen was chosen rather than

    r12a: if you use an american date use ISO order

    addison: ISO 8601 is a serialization format

    r12a: not for syntactic stuff
    … it's for people to read

    JcK: 8601 is a presentation format as well as a serialization

    2021-04-15T15: 16:17+00:00

    JcK: many systems does not use that to store data

    r12a: we need to join the Payments meeting now

    addison: are there other things we need to do this week?
    … we can read r12a's article and come back next week


    (joining payment requests call)

    <JcK> What is their IRC channel name? Went by too quickly

    <atsushi> #wpwg

    <JcK> thanks

    Action: addison: send wpwg list of specs that implement

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1017 - Send wpwg list of specs that
    implement lang/dir [on Addison Phillips - due 2021-04-22].

    Action: addison: establish rotating scribe list and add it to
    the agenda

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-1018 - Establish rotating scribe list
    and add it to the agenda [on Addison Phillips - due

Summary of action items

     1. [24]richard: fix stylesheets using logical properties etc.
     2. [25]addison: send wpwg list of specs that implement
     3. [26]addison: establish rotating scribe list and add it to
        the agenda

Received on Monday, 26 April 2021 09:06:03 UTC