[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2020-02-06


text version follows:

  - DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

06 Feb 2020




           addison, Bert, richard, JcK, Fuqiao


           Addison Phillips



      * [3]Topics
          1. [4]FOR REVIEW GH issue-based gap-analysis
          2. [5]Action Items
          3. [6]Info Share
          4. [7]RADAR and Active Work Review
          5. [8]FOR REVIEW GH issue-based gap-analysis
          6. [9]TTML2 and Unicode-bidi
          7. [10]AOB?
          8. [11]Goal setting for 2020
      * [12]Summary of Action Items
      * [13]Summary of Resolutions

    trackbot, prepare teleconference

    <agendabot> clear agenda

    <scribe> scribenick: addison

FOR REVIEW GH issue-based gap-analysis


    Bert: maybe make technical presentation on this

Action Items


      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open


    <trackbot> action-854 -- Addison Phillips to Write back about
    html snapshot publication, indicating our on-going work -- due
    2020-02-06 -- OPEN


      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/854

    close action-854

    <trackbot> Closed action-854.

Info Share

    richard: might have something for fuqiao
    ... creating images like in jlreq, in svg
    ... could be used in clreq perhaps

    xfq: what kind of images?

    richard: have my own set of notes about text layout
    ... how to do unicode and such in a particular language


      [17] https://w3c.github.io/jlreq/#kanji_hiragana_and_katakana

RADAR and Active Work Review


      [18] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-request/projects/1

FOR REVIEW GH issue-based gap-analysis


    richard: what do people think about the changes to the gap
    analysis docs?

    xfq: useful for lowering barrier for editing
    ... might create an issue template

    richard: thought about it
    ... don't know who will be writing these
    ... not difficult. have to copy atomic stuff and put the right
    labels on it

    <xfq> I shared it with the clreq editors today:

      [20] https://www.w3.org/2020/02/06-clreq-minutes.html#x01

    xfq: retrieving content with github api?

    richard: yes


      [21] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/wiki/Writing-i18n-tests

    richard: can everyone look at the above?
    ... the interactive tests are really handy
    ... can just link to it. very nice
    ... send feedback!

TTML2 and Unicode-bidi





    addison: update our comment to them?

    richard: some of fantasai's comments would be good

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: ask fantasai to make bidi comments on
    ttml issue

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-855 - Ask fantasai to make bidi
    comments on ttml issue [on Addison Phillips - due 2020-02-13].


Goal setting for 2020

    addison: wwtz, ltli, string-meta

    richard: "GEO"
    ... ruby styling article
    ... rtl for ltr languages
    ... graphemes article, what are orthographic syllables and that
    they are not in indic
    ... should develop more
    ... "Projects"
    ... finish string-meta
    ... think we should focus on achieving
    ... you added ltli and time zones
    ... "Review"
    ... close stale issues and update status
    ... work through old issues that can't be closed and do what we
    can with them
    ... "Process"
    ... automate creation of tracker, what Dom has been doing
    ... "Requirements"
    ... the langauge enablement
    ... could provide more staff for the groups
    ... would like to see that there are people doing typography,
    but don't have them on our task forces
    ... would be good to get people who are actually doing
    ... roll out the github based gap analysis... largely done
    ... "Tests"
    ... mentioned interactive tests
    ... more work to create templates for those, taking css
    properties and making available
    ... making an extra column for edge
    ... Info share on that; there is an extra column for legacy
    edge vs. current edge
    ... also, if you click on partial, can say what
    ... the description gets caught and put in page so you can
    ... not fully working but mostly working

    addison: look at our checklist

    richard: other thing under requirements, update the language
    enablement index
    ... need to publicize a bit more

    <r12a> [24]https://w3c.github.io/typography/

      [24] https://w3c.github.io/typography/

    bert: maybe make string-meta first

    addison: call for participation

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: ask fantasai to make bidi comments on
    ttml issue

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]

Received on Thursday, 6 February 2020 16:40:45 UTC