W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > October to December 2017

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2017-10-12

From: r12a <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 12:50:38 +0100
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Message-ID: <b8f40b84-38fc-33a1-5512-e42a0393088d@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html






text extract follows:



  - DRAFT -

            Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

12 Oct 2017

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017Oct/0006.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Bert, Richard, Fuqiao, Steve, Addison

    Regrets
           Jan, JcK

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           addison

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Radar
          5. [9]String-Meta
          6. [10]Behnam's comments on UTR 53
          7. [11]Working with Unicode experts
          8. [12]AOB?
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      * [14]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda

    richard: moving string-meta to first public

Action Items

    [15]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-660?

    <trackbot> action-660 -- Richard Ishida to Raise comment
    against utr53 asking for clarity about what they are trying to
    do -- due 2017-10-12 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [16]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/660

      [16] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/660

    richard: did that

    close action-660

    <trackbot> Closed action-660.

    richard: there was a response on edcom
    ... and my comment is in the PRI

    <r12a> [17]https://www.unicode.org/review/pri359/

      [17] https://www.unicode.org/review/pri359/

    action-661?

    <trackbot> action-661 -- Richard Ishida to Send
    [18]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/488 to
    intersection observer group -- due 2017-10-12 -- OPEN

      [18] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/488

    <trackbot>
    [19]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/661

      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/661

    close action-661

    <trackbot> Closed action-661.

Info Share

    addison: IUC41 next week. teleconference?

    Agreed: we will hold a telecon next week

Radar

    [20]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

      [20] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/projects/1

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: review DNT and sent an all-clear
    status to that WG unless something found [recorded in
    [21]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [21] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action01

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-662 - Review dnt and sent an
    all-clear status to that wg unless something found [on Addison
    Phillips - due 2017-10-19].

    [22]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

      [22] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: remind all to review charmod for
    status for next week, set agenda item for working to promote to
    next status next telecon [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

      [23] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action02

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-663 - Remind all to review charmod
    for status for next week, set agenda item for working to
    promote to next status next telecon [on Addison Phillips - due
    2017-10-19].

    richard: we should prep new encoding, will be substantive
    ... and work on moving to req
    ... dropping off a snapshot

    addison: follow html and do dot releases?

    richard: figure out possibilities
    ... scenario is, when publish req version, keep a WD and move
    into CR asap
    ... and just track
    ... new urls for "latest version"
    ... thanks to Fuqiao, clreq making progress
    ... did a quick gap analysis report
    ... ALreq also working on one

String-Meta

    richard: I think we might want to make a FPWD
    ... but probably needs a bit more text first

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: produce updated string-meta with
    additional text needed for FPWD by 2 weeks [recorded in
    [24]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

      [24] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action03

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-664 - Produce updated string-meta
    with additional text needed for fpwd by 2 weeks [on Addison
    Phillips - due 2017-10-19].

Behnam's comments on UTR 53

    [25]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017O
    ct/0007.html

      [25] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2017Oct/0007.html

    <r12a> [26]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/499

      [26] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/499

    [27]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/497

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/497

    richard: behnam wanted to send sooner rather than later
    ... 499, UTR says how to reorder for rendering
    ... wouldn't it be better to have something like "rendering
    pre-order algorithms"
    ... with a chapter on arabic and others in the future

    addison: interesting observation. maybe not WG?

    richard: want to track

    [28]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/497

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/497

    richard: doc says "this is useful to prep for rendering"
    ... but also says "could be useful for backspacing"
    ... might delete grapheme clusters, for example
    ... backspace, vowel sign and shadda
    ... base-vowel-shadda, ordering reversed in utr53
    ... so if you backspace, even though sequence base-vowel-sh but
    you want to delete vowel first

    addison: just a happy side effect?

    richard: behnam pointing out that this is just one potential
    text function that might use

    steve: leads to unexpected results, new behavior?

    richard: you'd type like base-sh-vowel
    ... but normalize as above

    steve: what about cursoring?

    richard: all one grapheme cluster... hmm...

    addison: in or out problem: here's an algo. useful for this.
    might be useful "for other things"
    ... what are unicode's intentions?

    richard: did they think through?

    addison: forward?

    steve: okay

    richard: okay

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: get behnam to forward 497 to the
    UTR53 PRI [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

      [29] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action04

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-665 - Get behnam to forward 497 to
    the utr53 pri [on Richard Ishida - due 2017-10-19].

Working with Unicode experts

    richard: have the matrix thing

    <r12a>
    [30]http://w3c.github.io/typography/gap-analysis/language-matri
    x.html

      [30] http://w3c.github.io/typography/gap-analysis/language-matrix.html

    richard: looking for funding to support projects to find people
    to work on specific set of languages
    ... make reports
    ... notwithstanding we get folks working on it
    ... always a need for experts to support our work
    ... have a bunch of outstanding questions not getting answers
    at moment

    <r12a> [31]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/textlayout/

      [31] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/textlayout/

    richard: type info request, no responses at the moment
    ... always has been/will be case
    ... be nice to have a better network
    ... unicode has a good network
    ... have lists
    ... have ISO committees
    ... submitting things like proposals
    ... wondering how we could get into similar situation
    ... work more closely with unicode??
    ... post to their mailing lists, maybe in return to cross
    posting to ours?
    ... post digest to unicode list?
    ... casting about for ideas

    richard: other ideas on ways to develop expert base?

    <r12a> ACTION: addison to talk to unicode folks about ways to
    cross-pollinate between our groups [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action06]

      [32] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action06

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-667 - Talk to unicode folks about
    ways to cross-pollinate between our groups [on Addison Phillips
    - due 2017-10-19].

    richard: fuqiao, do you think we might get more interest in
    china?

    xfq: matrix work?

    richard: many questions related to chinese
    ... see
    http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/textlayout/?filter=type-info
    -request
    ... great if we had more folks on ruby and text decoration and
    such
    ... possibilities in china?

    xfq: not quite familiar, discussed with angel
    ... reached out to stakeholders
    ... and national stds bodies
    ... some interest, but mostly very busy

    interest, not commitment

    richard: prepared to join a mailing list or something
    ... just for ad hoc opinions
    ... nothing structured
    ... just answering questions offhand

    bert: must be folks in universities studying language
    ... they might have time if we knew how to contact them
    ... other idea is if we want to get answers, make into a game
    or make attractive
    ... even virtual points

    richard: send more tweets, I follow lots of folks who talk
    about typography e.g.

    bert: question of the month

    richard: capturing those folks somehow, not just random?
    ... think more, send suggestions

    addison: somewhere to capture ideas?

    richard: wiki in our repo?

    <scribe> ACTION: richard to set up wiki in our repo to capture
    ideas for engaging folks with our questions [recorded in
    [33]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action07]

      [33] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action07

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-668 - Set up wiki in our repo to
    capture ideas for engaging folks with our questions [on Richard
    Ishida - due 2017-10-19].

    addison: will have in agenda next week

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison to talk to unicode folks about ways to
    cross-pollinate between our groups [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action06]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: produce updated string-meta with
    additional text needed for FPWD by 2 weeks [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: remind all to review charmod for status
    for next week, set agenda item for working to promote to next
    status next telecon [recorded in
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: review DNT and sent an all-clear status
    to that WG unless something found [recorded in
    [37]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: talk to unicode folks about ways to
    cross-pollinate between our groups [recorded in
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action05]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard to set up wiki in our repo to capture
    ideas for engaging folks with our questions [recorded in
    [39]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action07]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: get behnam to forward 497 to the UTR53
    PRI [recorded in
    [40]http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

      [34] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action06
      [35] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action03
      [36] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action02
      [37] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action01
      [38] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action05
      [39] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action07
      [40] http://www.w3.org/2017/10/12-i18n-minutes.html#action04

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Friday, 13 October 2017 11:50:11 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 13 October 2017 11:50:11 UTC