W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2016

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2016-06-23

From: <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 20:14:03 +0100
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
Message-ID: <06c28729-2cea-a5bc-d48e-7dbf6b7e1e57@w3.org>
https://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html





text version follows:



Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

23 Jun 2016

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2016Jun/0029.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Steve, Addison, JcK, Richard, Najib

    Regrets
    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]RADAR and Active Work Review
          5. [9]HTML 5.1 comments
          6. [10]Move custom counter styles to Note
          7. [11]Encoding spec
          8. [12]AOB?
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      * [14]Summary of Resolutions
      __________________________________________________________

    <scribe> Agenda:
    [15]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2016J
    un/0030.html

      [15] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2016Jun/0030.html

Agenda

Action Items

    [16]https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    close action-399

    <trackbot> Closed action-399.

    action-404?

    <trackbot> action-404 -- Dennis Tan Tanaka to Check on zwj and
    friends in idna so that we can document in charmod-norm -- due
    2015-02-19 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [17]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/404

      [17] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/404

    we decided that idna and friends are out of scope for charmod

    close action-404

    <trackbot> Closed action-404.

Info Share

    reminder: sign up for TPAC!

    richard: published the specdev
    ... and counter styles else in TR using echidna
    ... was really easy

    addison: saw your email will try with charmod

    richard: unicode 9 released on tuesday
    ... and uniview is updated

RADAR and Active Work Review

    [18]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/radar/

      [18] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/radar/

    [19]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

      [19] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/projects/

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: ping martin about unicode in xml
    [recorded in
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

      [20] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-534 - Ping martin about unicode in
    xml [on Addison Phillips - due 2016-06-30].

    richard: no comments on time and dates essential comments
    ... due yesterday
    ... so publish it?

    yep

    <JcK> FWIW, I forwarded the "time thing" announcement to a
    couple of IETF folks concerned about the issues, one of whom
    apparently re-forwarded to the mail calendaring list. So there
    should be no shortage of people with an opportunity to review

HTML 5.1 comments

    [21]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

      [21] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

    [22]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/159

      [22] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/159

    richard: need to step back a bit more

    <r12a> [23]http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

      [23] http://w3c.github.io/i18n-activity/reviews/

    [24]https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/341

      [24] https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/341

    want to leave in, could be useful in some languages

    use the incubator was suggested

    addison: recollection was that this was kept in for past
    compat, that list-style-type was meant to replace it
    ... we'd want this taken away but for compat?

    richard: if could auto-detect label, that'd be a cool feature
    ... write note before we close it saying we don't agree?

    <r12a> [25]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/33

      [25] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/33

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: add note to issue 33 saying we don't
    agree before closing [recorded in
    [26]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

      [26] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-535 - Add note to issue 33 saying we
    don't agree before closing [on Addison Phillips - due
    2016-06-30].

    [27]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/128

      [27] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/128

    close 127

    127 is not a typo

    close 128. theyy added type=submit to the ones that are default
    translatable

    [28]https://github.com/w3c/html/pull/503

      [28] https://github.com/w3c/html/pull/503

    [29]https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/343

      [29] https://github.com/w3c/html/issues/343

    <r12a> [30]https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/133

      [30] https://github.com/w3c/i18n-activity/issues/133

    add a question about whether to be addressed or not

    and 5.1 or 5.2?

    richard: closing all annotation model comments since no
    objections

Move custom counter styles to Note

    css working group has been discussing plans for next charter
    period

    scribe: and supposed to be 3 year charter
    ... number of docs to rec in that time
    ... one is counter styles
    ... they expect it in rec in 2018
    ... thinking our draft might as well be a WG Note, rather than
    continue waiting for their publication

    (predefined counter styles)

    richard: it's currently a WD

    call for a vote on publishing "custom built counter styles" as
    a WG Note

    scribe: short name is predefined-counter-styles

    <r12a> [31]http://w3c.github.io/predefined-counter-styles/

   http://w3c.github.io/predefined-counter-styles/

    +1

    <r12a> +1

    <najib> +1

    <JcK> +1

    <Steve_Atkin> +1

    so resolved

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: publish predefined-counter-styles as
    a WG Note [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

      [32] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-536 - Publish
    predefined-counter-styles as a wg note [on Richard Ishida - due
    2016-06-30].

Encoding spec

    richard: need to take a decision to publish a new version of
    the Encoding CR
    ... there have been substantive changes since October

    <r12a> [33]https://github.com/whatwg/encoding/issues

      [33] https://github.com/whatwg/encoding/issues

    richard: re-worked the double byte tests
    ... submitted pull requests to WPT
    ... link is to whatwg list for encoding
    ... created 7 issues there
    ... hoping they will get some impl discussion
    ... three possibilities
    ... one is to fix browser
    ... change spec to match browser
    ... or problem with the test
    ... hopefully not the last

    <r12a>
    [34]https://www.w3.org/International/tests/repo/results/encodin
    g-dbl-byte.en

      [34] 
https://www.w3.org/International/tests/repo/results/encoding-dbl-byte.en

    <r12a>
    [35]https://www.w3.org/International/tests/repo/results/encodin
    g-dbl-byte.en#gb18030

      [35] 
https://www.w3.org/International/tests/repo/results/encoding-dbl-byte.en#gb18030

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: file bugs against failing browsers,
    referring back to the encoding issue list, and update the
    encoding issues [recorded in
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

      [36] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-537 - File bugs against failing
    browsers, referring back to the encoding issue list, and update
    the encoding issues [on Addison Phillips - due 2016-06-30].

    richard: the encodings I reworked was multibyte
    ... haven't revisited single byte tests, generally better shape
    ... passing tests with two impls is a CR requirement
    ... weird thing here is 750K subtests
    ... when you see a "partial", that means like 0.0001% of tests
    might have failed
    ... usually not more than 1%
    ... is a failure rate of < 1% mean it doesn't count

    addison: very many tests where we don't have two

    ?

    richard: majority

    <r12a>
    [37]https://www.w3.org/International/tests/repo/results/encodin
    g-sb-dec

      [37] 
https://www.w3.org/International/tests/repo/results/encoding-sb-dec

    steven: gb18030 concerns me the most

    richard: test here is conformance to encoding spec
    ... might not be same as where gb18030 is defined elsewhere
    ... may be due to new version of 18030? maybe 18030:2005??
    ... anne doesn't expect mappings to be identical to other
    people's
    ... based on browser behaivor
    ... or merging things
    ... more tests coming shortly through this process
    ... replacement encoding and utf-16 encodings and maybe
    user-defined

    steven: is there an impact on node.js

    addison: js is a unicode beast

    steven: need to think about more, want to think about it. could
    be subtle

    resolve to publish a new CR?

    richard: may need to pub another one later
    ... problem is that current snapshot is confusing since it
    doesn't match whatwg version
    ... your TR isn't up to date

    addison: can just track publish if whatwg's changes
    ... mapping tables different from spec/algorithm

    richard: no tests for API either

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: work with richard and PLH to
    establish procedure for bringing changes to encoding forward
    [recorded in
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

      [38] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-538 - Work with richard and plh to
    establish procedure for bringing changes to encoding forward
    [on Addison Phillips - due 2016-06-30].

    resolve: in principle publish new encoding CR?

    +1

    <r12a> +1

    <Steve_Atkin> +1

    <najib> +1

    <JcK> +1 (with procedural note)

    addison: additional changes including exit of CR requires WG
    approval

    <JcK> +1 with "in principle"

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: add note to issue 33 saying we don't
    agree before closing [recorded in
    [39]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: file bugs against failing browsers,
    referring back to the encoding issue list, and update the
    encoding issues [recorded in
    [40]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: ping martin about unicode in xml
    [recorded in
    [41]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: work with richard and PLH to establish
    procedure for bringing changes to encoding forward [recorded in
    [42]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action05]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: publish predefined-counter-styles as a
    WG Note [recorded in
    [43]http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

      [39] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action02
      [40] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action04
      [41] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action01
      [42] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action05
      [43] http://www.w3.org/2016/06/23-i18n-minutes.html#action03

Summary of Resolutions

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 23 June 2016 19:14:24 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 22:41:10 UTC