Re: Tests for Encoding spec

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 14:27:25 +0200
To: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: Jungshik SHIN (신정식) <jshin1987+w3@gmail.com>, www International <www-international@w3.org>
On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org> wrote:
> 1. i'd be happy to change the mechanism for identifying the output of
> encoding if i knew how.  The problem, it seems to me, with generating form
> submissions is that if you are not looking at the percent escapes themselves
> (ie. comparing within the document, by which time the form submission
> parameter has been converted to Unicode) you are reliant on decoding to work
> for encoding results to be reliable.  It's ok to check the odd character
> visually by checking the web address bar, but how to do that for tens of
> thousands of characters?  I'd be very happy to know if you have a
> suggestion.

If you use application/x-www-form-urlencoded (the default) there will
be no Unicode involved. Just percent-encoded bytes. So if you have
something on the server that doesn't decode for you, you should be
able to get at the raw bytes the browser used to encode.

> 2. i suspect that its' actually important for the mechanism of converting to
> href values to work too, so i think that this may still be something that
> needs fixing.  If what goes into the href value is not what the user
> expected, then that is presumably problematic.

Yeah, both should definitely work in the end. Everything needs to
become predictable for developers.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/