Re: Tests for Encoding spec

On 18/10/2015 08:53, Jungshik SHIN (신정식) wrote:
> How are you testing encoding (Unicode -> char encoding) ?
>
> My test with
> a form submission (below) with U+03A9 and U+2126  indicates that Chrome
> does not NFC them before converting to EUC-KR. Try the following page.
> Submit the form and see the URL.
>
> http://www.i18nl10n.com/chrome/euckr_form.html
>

> Virtually all the encoding errors in your test results for EUC-KR,
> Shift_JIS, Big5 (except for a couple of them where Chrome's table has
> not been updated per recent spec changes; e.g. U+2022 in Shift_JIS
> mentioned in my previous email ) are due to the way your test is conducted.
>
> With a form submission test (which is most relevant for 'encoding'),
> those code points would be encoded per spec.

hi Jungshik,

The test I use adds characters to an href attribute via scripting. It
then tests the href attribute value for percent encoded escapes
corresponding to the character being tested.  It's certainly problematic
in that Edge doesn't store the characters as percent escapes (i don't
know if there's a switch to enable that).

two thoughts:

1. i'd be happy to change the mechanism for identifying the output of
encoding if i knew how.  The problem, it seems to me, with generating
form submissions is that if you are not looking at the percent escapes
themselves (ie. comparing within the document, by which time the form
submission parameter has been converted to Unicode) you are reliant on
decoding to work for encoding results to be reliable.  It's ok to check
the odd character visually by checking the web address bar, but how to
do that for tens of thousands of characters?  I'd be very happy to know
if you have a suggestion.

2. i suspect that its' actually important for the mechanism of
converting to href values to work too, so i think that this may still be
something that needs fixing.  If what goes into the href value is not
what the user expected, then that is presumably problematic.

cheers,
ri