W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > January to March 2015

[minutes] Internationalization WG telecon 2015-03-19

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 16:07:19 +0000
Message-ID: <550AF437.5000309@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2015/03/19-i18n-minutes.html




text version:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

19 Mar 2015

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015Mar/0010.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/03/19-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Richard, Mati, JcK, David, Xiaoqian

    Regrets
           Felix, Steven, Dennis

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           aphillip

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]RADAR and Active Work Review
          5. [9]TPAC attendance
          6. [10]Best Practices when writing Specifications
          7. [11]Web VTT review
          8. [12]AOB?
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda

    agenda

Action Items

    action-360?

    <trackbot> action-360 -- Xiaoqian Wu to Survey publishers if
    there are requirements for additional/more specific styles in
    chinese e-books -- due 2014-11-06 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [14]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/360

      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/360

    close action-360

    <trackbot> Closed action-360.

    close action-382

    <trackbot> Closed action-382.

    close action-415

    <trackbot> Closed action-415.

    close action-416

    <trackbot> Closed action-416.

Info Share

    JcK: ietf discussion around unicode "anomalies" continues
    ... high noise/signal ratio
    ... more concrete action next week

    richard: someone said "this is more difficult and complicated
    than we thought"

    Jck: it's lots more complicated
    ... one problem is statements in unicode about how codes points
    relate to each other
    ... another issue is that isolated problem in arabic and a few
    other scripts
    ... it seems that latin and most others have this issue
    ... two drafts out trying to describe problem
    ... will post links here

RADAR and Active Work Review

    [15]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

    [16]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

    chinese layout requirements

    xiaoqian: release editors draft
    ... some progress on tibetan document
    ... publish english version as soon as possible after update

    richard: test developments
    ... submitting pull requests for tests I developed
    ... transform tests
    ... questions about one on css list
    ... started work on additional tests on css counter styles
    ... already have tests, but they added a bunch of new ones just
    before CR
    ... so adding tests for those

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: talk to anne/joshua about how to
    solicit tests for encoding [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/19-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-417 - Talk to anne/joshua about how
    to solicit tests for encoding [on Addison Phillips - due
    2015-03-26].

    ruby

    richard: just talked to bobby
    ... looking for opentype experts on how to make bopomofo ruby
    work
    ... questions on css lists there

    <JcK> On the Unicode matching problem, now better described as
    non-decomposable characters although that isn't right either
    the two drafts I mentioned are:

    <JcK>
    [18]https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-idna-5892upd
    -unicode70/

      [18] 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-idna-5892upd-unicode70/

    <JcK>
    [19]https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sullivan-lucid-prob-
    stmt/

      [19] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sullivan-lucid-prob-stmt/

    <JcK> Substantively, the second is to some extent a subset of
    the first.

    <JcK> Might also be worth looking at

    <JcK>
    [20]http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/lucid/current/msg00020
    .html

      [20] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/lucid/current/msg00020.html

    <JcK> which introduces the "coding artifact vs. confusability"
    characterization.

    <JcK> The LUCID BOF, which will be the next major discussion
    venue, is next Wednesday at IETF 92. Mailing list info at
    [21]https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lucid

      [21] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lucid

    <koji> Didn't Bobby already get support from But Ko?

    predefined counter styles

    richard: now in github

TPAC attendance

    richard: anyone going to attend TPAC in Sapporo Japan in the
    fall?
    ... do we want a room?

    David: considering attending

    xiaoqian: can get more participants in asia this year

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: send note on member list asking for
    tpac attendance [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/19-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-418 - Send note on member list asking
    for tpac attendance [on Addison Phillips - due 2015-03-26].

    [23]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2015J
    anMar/0082.html

      [23] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-i18n-core/2015JanMar/0082.html

Best Practices when writing Specifications

    <r12a>
    [24]http://www.w3.org/International/techniques/developing-specs
    -dynamic

      [24] 
http://www.w3.org/International/techniques/developing-specs-dynamic

    richard: added new items in typographic support
    ... links to new document

    <r12a> [25]http://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/

      [25] http://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/

    richard: links to new document because new information (not
    much new yet...)
    ... created while doing webvtt review last nigtht
    ... when making comment, made guideline at same time

    <r12a> [26]http://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/#type_linebreak

      [26] http://w3c.github.io/bp-i18n-specdev/#type_linebreak

    richard: doing mostly ad hoc development of document
    ... this is just a place to put info when you don't have it
    elsewhere
    ... getting a number of tweets/favorites on it
    ... mati already looked at bidi
    ... everyone look at this please?

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: remind working group to review the bp
    draft and supply comments on existing materials, volunteer to
    add materials, or provide other comments [recorded in
    [27]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/19-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-419 - Remind working group to review
    the bp draft and supply comments on existing materials,
    volunteer to add materials, or provide other comments [on
    Addison Phillips - due 2015-03-26].

    addison: harvest past trackers?

Web VTT review

    [28]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/73

      [28] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/73

    issue-418?>?

    <trackbot> issue-418 -- observation: line wrapping, line
    balancing ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [29]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/418

      [29] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/418

    [30]http://www.w3.org/TR/webvtt1/#cues-with-multiple-lines

      [30] http://www.w3.org/TR/webvtt1/#cues-with-multiple-lines

    issue-434?

    <trackbot> issue-434 -- 3.1 Line wrapping for non-Latin scripts
    ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [31]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/434

      [31] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/434

    <r12a> Line wrapping should take into account the special rules
    needed for scripts ... It would be good, as a minimum, to
    remind implementers that script-specific wrapping algorithms
    need to be supported for WebVTT content

    <r12a> No mention is made of default settings for the
    line-break and word-break properties

    addison: fold 418 into 434
    ... or change 418 to refer to having a non-English example of
    "balancing" in section 1.1

    issue-419?

    <trackbot> issue-419 -- term "NOTE" may not be friendly to
    users in other languages ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [32]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/419

      [32] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/419

    Comments in a WebVTT file are introduced by the string "NOTE"
    in English. This serves as the same kind of marker that tokens
    such as # or // or /* */ do in some programming languages or
    formats. Using an English word is less accessible for
    international/non-English users than the use of a symbolic
    token.

    issue-420?

    <trackbot> issue-420 -- no provision for indicating overall
    content language(s) ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [33]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/420

      [33] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/420

    <Leandro> No objections

    issue-421?

    <trackbot> issue-421 -- non-ASCII examples? ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [34]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/421

      [34] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/421

    issue-422?

    <trackbot> issue-422 -- start/end linked to left/right ⓟ --
    open

    <trackbot> [35]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/422

      [35] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/422

    The first cue has its cue box left aligned at the 10% mark of
    the video viewport width and the text is left aligned within
    that box - probably underneath a speaker on the left of the
    video image. "start" alignment of the cue box is the default
    for start aligned text, so does not need to be specified in
    "position". The second cue has its cue box right aligned at the
    90% mark of the video viewport width. The same effect can be
    achieved with "position:55%,st[CUT]

    richard: had another look yesterday

    addison: doesn't actually *say* it

    richard: don't know where directionality is declared, just use
    first strong

    issue-423?

    <trackbot> issue-423 -- Optional BOM ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [36]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/423

      [36] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/423

    kill 423

    issue-424?

    <trackbot> issue-424 -- Why not ABNF/EBNF? ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [37]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/424

      [37] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/424

    richard: add railroad diagrams as an example

    issue-425?

    <trackbot> issue-425 -- Normalization and string identity
    issues ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [38]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/425

      [38] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/425

    [39]http://www.w3.org/TR/webvtt1/#webvtt-file-structure

      [39] http://www.w3.org/TR/webvtt1/#webvtt-file-structure

    richard: add link to charmod
    ... support

    issue-426?

    <trackbot> issue-426 -- zero or more characters? ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [40]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/426

      [40] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/426

    <r12a> no objection

    A WebVTT cue settings list consist of a sequence of zero or
    more WebVTT cue settings in any order, separated from each
    other by one or more U+0020 SPACE characters

    issue-427?

    <trackbot> issue-427 -- WebVTT percentage ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [41]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/427

      [41] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/427

    <r12a> no objection

    issue-428?

    <trackbot> issue-428 -- 4.3.2 emphasis spans ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [42]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/428

      [42] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/428

    issue-429?

    <trackbot> issue-429 -- "valid" language tag ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [43]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/429

      [43] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/429

    <r12a> no objection

    issue-430?

    <trackbot> issue-430 -- 4.3.2 Very few character escapes ⓟ --
    open

    <trackbot> [44]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/430

      [44] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/430

    issue-431?

    <trackbot> issue-431 -- ruby + rt sufficient? ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [45]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/431

      [45] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/431

    richard: this is only part of the general ruby model. did you
    intend to be so specific or just looking at old version of
    html?

    issue-432?

    <trackbot> issue-432 -- 6.2.1 processing model handling of bidi
    ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [46]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/432

      [46] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/432

    issue-434?

    <trackbot> issue-434 -- 3.1 Line wrapping for non-Latin scripts
    ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [47]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/434

      [47] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/434

    issue-435?

    <trackbot> issue-435 -- 3.2 scroll value and vertical writing ⓟ
    -- open

    <trackbot> [48]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/435

      [48] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/435

    no objection

    issue-436?

    <trackbot> issue-436 -- 6.2.1 line heights ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [49]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/436

      [49] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/436

    no objection

    addison: ready to submit?

    <matial> yes

    richard: yes

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: clean up and submit webvtt comments
    based on today's teleconference [recorded in
    [50]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/19-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-420 - Clean up and submit webvtt
    comments based on today's teleconference [on Addison Phillips -
    due 2015-03-26].

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: clean up and submit webvtt comments
    based on today's teleconference [recorded in
    [51]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/19-i18n-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: remind working group to review the bp
    draft and supply comments on existing materials, volunteer to
    add materials, or provide other comments [recorded in
    [52]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/19-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: send note on member list asking for tpac
    attendance [recorded in
    [53]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/19-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: talk to anne/joshua about how to solicit
    tests for encoding [recorded in
    [54]http://www.w3.org/2015/03/19-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 19 March 2015 16:07:28 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 21 September 2016 22:37:38 UTC