W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > January to March 2015

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2015-01-22

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2015 20:50:11 +0000
Message-ID: <54C16283.7040907@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-i18n-minutes.html





text version follows



Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

22 Jan 2015

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2015Jan/0009.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Richard, Mati, Somnath, David, JcK, Felix,
           Steve, Dennis, Koji

    Regrets
           Leandro

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]Review Radar
          5. [9]Project Radar
          6. [10]Indic Layout Requirements Comments
          7. [11]CSS Inline comments
          8. [12]UTR51 Comments
          9. [13]tombstone of authoring techniques
         10. [14]chinese layout progress
         11. [15]AOB?
      * [16]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: check Mati's presence on the
    distribution list, etc. [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-391 - Check mati's presence on the
    distribution list, etc. [on Addison Phillips - due 2015-01-29].

Agenda

Action Items

    <r12a>
    [18]http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-i18n-html-tech-char-20150127/O
    verview.html

      [18] 
http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-i18n-html-tech-char-20150127/Overview.html

    <fsasaki> [nothing new on my action items and still in a
    different call]

    action-365?

    <trackbot> action-365 -- Richard Ishida to Create tombstone
    version of "authoring techniques for xhtml & html
    internationalizatoin: characters and encodings 1.0" as the
    end-of-life of this document -- due 2014-11-07 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [19]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/365

      [19] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/365

    richard: serious change, but not much of it :-)

    action-366?

    <trackbot> action-366 -- Richard Ishida to Identify categories
    non-controversial for line-breaking to support i18n-issue-316
    in css3-text -- due 2014-11-07 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [20]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/366

      [20] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/366

    close action-389

    <trackbot> Closed action-389.

    action-390?

    <trackbot> action-390 -- Richard Ishida to Forward issue-401 to
    indic list and shepherd response with appropriate elaboration
    as needed -- due 2015-01-22 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [21]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/390

      [21] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/390

    issue-401?

    <trackbot> issue-401 -- Clarify initial letter requirements and
    alignment points -- open

    <trackbot> [22]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/401

      [22] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/401

    close action-390

    <trackbot> Closed action-390.

Info Share

    <fsasaki> action-361?

    <trackbot> action-361 -- Felix Sasaki to Check status of idns
    in ml data best practices -- due 2014-11-06 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [23]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/361

      [23] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/361

    close action-361

    <trackbot> Closed action-361.

    DennisTan: raised an issue

    issue-402?

    <trackbot> issue-402 -- Broken copy/paste behavior with IRIs --
    open

    <trackbot> [24]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/402

      [24] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/402

    <r12a>
    [25]http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions

      [25] http://www.w3.org/International/reviews/review-instructions

    richard: program cmte for MLWeb workshop is actively seeking
    speakers
    ... we highly recommend this conference :-)
    ... please review call for participation

    <r12a>
    [26]http://www.multilingualweb.eu/documents/2015-riga-workshop/
    2015-riga-cfp

      [26] 
http://www.multilingualweb.eu/documents/2015-riga-workshop/2015-riga-cfp

    felix: workshop is only one day this time
    ... please submit as soon as possible
    ... there are other events besides the workshop
    ... other events are related to language technology
    ... e.g. MT, search, etc.
    ... submit as soon as possible for MLWeb, tho

Review Radar

    [27]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

      [27] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

    steve: will review LDPF this coming week

Project Radar

    [28]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

      [28] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: follow up on lock-step publishing
    counter styles WG document to match CSS by checking on their
    status [recorded in
    [29]http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-392 - Follow up on lock-step
    publishing counter styles wg document to match css by checking
    on their status [on Richard Ishida - due 2015-01-29].

    koji: we discuss form localization

    <r12a> [30]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

      [30] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

    <r12a>
    [31]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar#Local_F
    ormats_and_Locales

      [31] 
https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar#Local_Formats_and_Locales

    <fsasaki> action-252?

    <trackbot> action-252 -- Felix Sasaki to Ping dita folks about
    contacting html5 about ruby progress -- due 2013-09-05 -- OPEN

    <trackbot>
    [32]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/252

      [32] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/252

    <fsasaki>
    [33]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2014O
    ct/0002.html

      [33] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2014Oct/0002.html

    felix: pinged dita folks
    ... above link is the email with their response

    close action-252

    <trackbot> Closed action-252.

Indic Layout Requirements Comments

    [34]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/67

      [34] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/67

    richard: somnath has put in some edits suggested in tracker
    ... and added additional examples of non-Hindi/non-Devanagari
    initial letters
    ... want to discuss how best to make some changes
    ... perhaps I could edit and send to you?

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: send somnath proposed updates to the
    indic layout requirements document [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-393 - Send somnath proposed updates
    to the indic layout requirements document [on Richard Ishida -
    due 2015-01-29].

    richard: dave cramer needs technical information about how
    layout are handled

    somnath: have gathered information and need a little time to
    collate
    ... will send detailed requirements document

    <scribe> ACTION: somnath: send richard detailed requirements
    for initial letters in various Indic scripts [recorded in
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-394 - Send richard detailed
    requirements for initial letters in various indic scripts [on
    Somnath Chandra - due 2015-01-29].

    issue-407?

    <trackbot> issue-407 -- Clarification of initial letter example
    ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [37]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/407

      [37] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/407

    richard: this issue is interesting because fixed already

    addison: schedule item for review by wg and include note that
    not reviewed by WG yet

    richard: somnath, working on two issues?

    somnath: give me 4-5 days time

CSS Inline comments

    issue-408?

    <trackbot> issue-408 -- Centred value for intial-letter-align ⓟ
    -- open

    <trackbot> [38]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/408

      [38] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/408

    richard: went through a lot of newspapers in many scripts
    ... got examples
    ... many examples use an approach where they make a (colored)
    box
    ... with the drop cap or initial "letter" in that box
    ... alignment from edges of box
    ... not a scenario addressed by CSS
    ... way spec is currently written
    ... defines size of letter
    ... and the alignment with surrounding script

    addison: any objection to removing the ⓟ for provisional

    koji: different from ideograph?

    richard: yes, because additional space around character

    <r12a>
    [39]https://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/15650930393/in/set-721
    57650248400402

      [39] 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/15650930393/in/set-72157650248400402

    <r12a>
    [40]https://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/16246010056/in/set-721
    57650248400402

      [40] 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/16246010056/in/set-72157650248400402

    addison: illuminated cap

    <r12a>
    [41]https://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/15652027313/in/set-721
    57650248400402

      [41] 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/15652027313/in/set-72157650248400402

    <r12a>
    [42]https://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/16084392688/in/set-721
    57650248400402/

      [42] 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ishida/16084392688/in/set-72157650248400402/

    JcK: looks like medieval illumination style in latin script

    addison: maybe forward to css?

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: forward issue-408 to CSS as
    non-provisional comment [recorded in
    [43]http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-i18n-minutes.html#action05]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-395 - Forward issue-408 to css as
    non-provisional comment [on Richard Ishida - due 2015-01-29].

UTR51 Comments

    [44]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/66

      [44] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/66

    issue-397?

    <trackbot> issue-397 -- Interaction of variation selectors and
    proposed emoji modifiers ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [45]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/397

      [45] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/397

    issue-405?

    <trackbot> issue-405 -- clarify embedded image vs. character
    (editorial) ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [46]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/405

      [46] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/405

    richard: no objections to these

    addison: any other comments, please expedite

tombstone of authoring techniques

    <r12a>
    [47]http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-i18n-html-tech-char-20150127/O
    verview.html

      [47] 
http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-i18n-html-tech-char-20150127/Overview.html

    <JcK> Re the CSS issue, and at the risk of channeling Muriel
    Cooper (or maybe Norbert Weiner) it seems to me that there is a
    meta-issue here as to when style-based page formatting ends and
    graphical pay layout art begins, i.e., where does one stop?
    Again, the medieval Latin manuscript example may be helpful as
    a way to think about this -- there were some very specific
    conventions there, but...

    <JcK> ...they differ by scribal school and over time and still
    allowed for illustrator discretion. The mind boggles about what
    would happen if we tried to devise an formalized typology and
    encoding for them. Perhaps Korean pages are is a lot more
    standardized in that regard, but the examples and discussion
    are not persuasive about that.

    <DennisTan> I have to drop off. Thank you. Bye

    <r12a> t is important to consider character encoding when
    producing documents, and to understand how to choose and
    declare encodings, how and when to use character escapes, etc.

    richard: have blessing to continue and publish next tuesday

    David: yes

    addison: yes

    <matial> yes

    <r12a> yes

    <David> +1

    <JcK> +1

    <koji> +1

    <Steve_Atkin> Steve +1

    <scribe> chair: resolved to publish this as a tombstone

chinese layout progress

    <r12a>
    [48]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Chinese_layout_prep

      [48] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Chinese_layout_prep

    richard: put together above after long call with beihang today
    ... main action will start in March
    ... tomorrow will talk with them about Han document
    ... getting FPWD ASAP
    ... charter is done
    ... mailing lists are done
    ... remainder in progress
    ... home pages soon

    addison: that's awesome

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: check Mati's presence on the
    distribution list, etc. [recorded in
    [49]http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: follow up on lock-step publishing
    counter styles WG document to match CSS by checking on their
    status [recorded in
    [50]http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: forward issue-408 to CSS as
    non-provisional comment [recorded in
    [51]http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-i18n-minutes.html#action05]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: send somnath proposed updates to the
    indic layout requirements document [recorded in
    [52]http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: somnath: send richard detailed requirements for
    initial letters in various Indic scripts [recorded in
    [53]http://www.w3.org/2015/01/22-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 22 January 2015 20:50:35 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 21 September 2016 22:37:38 UTC