[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2015-05-07


text version follows:

Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

07 May 2015



    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2015/05/07-i18n-irc


           Addison, Richard, Dennis, JcK


           Addison Phillips

           Addison Phillips


      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Action Items
          2. [6]Info Share
          3. [7]RADAR and Active Work Review
          4. [8]Prioritization of Work Items and Work Planning
          5. [9]FW: Informative Collection of Justification
          6. [10]comments review, various documents
          7. [11]AOB?
      * [12]Summary of Action Items

Action Items


      [13] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    close action-439

    <trackbot> Closed action-439.

Info Share

    Dennis: universal acceptance group formed
    ... want people to join


      [14] https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/ua-international

    Dennis: promote acceptance of IDNs
    ... part of group
    ... looking for way to promote via best practices etc via w3c
    ... chatting with richard in riga
    ... figure out how to coordinate between icann and w3c

    richard: don't want to own problem, but want to help however
    ... perhaps suggest things and we can discuss?

    dennis: play by ear and see how it evolves

    jck: hoping latest version will work out well/better

    richard: mlweb workshop last week
    ... was 3rd day of a 3 day event
    ... squeezed into a single day
    ... reasonably successful
    ... asking ourselves if we can do another in 2016
    ... need to find funding for someone to run cmte and produce
    ... we have a potential location/facilities (Rome)
    ... under discussion


      [15] http://r12a.github.io/scripts/mongolian/variants.html

    richard: if you're interested in mongolian
    ... document above that I've been working on
    ... getting better/more useful information about how to produce
    various variant forms
    ... tapping into experts

    addison: plans to publish formally??

    richard: represents latest thinking
    ... can use to go to vendors, etc. to change appropriately
    ... some places where it isn't obvious if we have right choices
    ... discuss on public-i18n-mongolian list
    ... that list can be written to in chinese, english or

RADAR and Active Work Review


      [16] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

    richard: started reading web payments


      [17] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Project_radar

    richard: updating articles for translation
    ... mostly template update
    ... but making a few minor changes

Prioritization of Work Items and Work Planning

    addison: summarizes voting to date

FW: Informative Collection of Justification Resources



    richard: think the answer is "yes", but need to figure out what
    we are actually going to do



    richard: we currently point outwards at things
    ... having a document on justification or on justification in a
    script not maybe a good idea
    ... pages on the web may disappear or contains some things you
    don't quite agree with or incomplete
    ... so incorporating "the truth" as we see it into one document
    would be good
    ... if we have resources to make that happen
    ... and making larger layout requirements documents even better
    ... getting experts togehter, lot more work

    addison: almost wiki pages of matierals until critical mass?

    richard: not a document about justification



    <r12a> [21]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Layout_links

      [21] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Layout_links

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: follow up with daniel about ethiopic
    information [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-440 - Follow up with daniel about
    ethiopic information [on Richard Ishida - due 2015-05-14].

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: write back to fantasai/csswg and
    propose a way to organize layout information [recorded in

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-441 - Write back to fantasai/csswg
    and propose a way to organize layout information [on Richard
    Ishida - due 2015-05-14].

comments review, various documents




      [25] https://www.w3.org/International/track/products/78




      [27] https://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/464


    <trackbot> issue-464 -- 'label' needs direction and language
    metadata ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [28]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/464

      [28] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/464


    <trackbot> issue-465 -- Human readable message not localizable?
    ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [29]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/465

      [29] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/465


      [30] https://www.w3.org/International/track/products/79


    <trackbot> issue-466 -- Can JSON data be generated from non
    UTF-8 encoded CSV data ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [31]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/466

      [31] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/466

    json == utf-8

    addison: so conversion must be taking place

    ricahrd: other documents in this group talk about encoding


    <trackbot> issue-467 -- What are the rules for string equality
    when column names are matched with annotations ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [32]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/467

      [32] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/467

    <DennisTan> Need to drop off the call. Thank you .... also, I
    won't be able to make it to next week's meeting, so regrets in
    advance. Good bye!

    addison: I think our guidelines are to include a health warning


    <trackbot> issue-468 -- Do Unicode Strings get normalized when
    placed into JSON data ⓟ -- open

    <trackbot> [33]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/468

      [33] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/468

    addison: recommend a normalizing transcoder?
    ... but don't apply normalization?


    richard: in prep for next week, are we doing something for
    ... send questions ahead?

    addison: will write that as homework

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: richard: follow up with daniel about ethiopic
    information [recorded in
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: write back to fantasai/csswg and propose
    a way to organize layout information [recorded in

    [End of minutes]

Received on Thursday, 14 May 2015 16:24:16 UTC