RE: [charmod-norm] suggestions for reorganizing some sections

Hello Richard,

[ For others on the thread, the current editor's draft, which both Richard and I are referring to is here: http://w3c.github.io/charmod-norm/ ]

Thanks for this. I tend to agree that some reorganization is needed and almost agree with your suggestion :-).

Actually, I'd keep case folding before normalization: I moved it there in the current editor's version because case folding is something that software developers learn to do to normalize text for comparison quite early in their careers. Thus it serves as a useful introduction to the idea of "text variation" before plunging into Unicode normalization. I would write a bit more introductory material to introduce the "text variation" concept in that part (something we mention but don't really illustrate today).

I'm curious about other's thoughts before we launch into wholesale reorganization. Also, I wouldn't want to push a new ED before we have a discussion in teleconference, since that might complicate people's references to the document.

Addison