Re: [encoding] Last Call Comment: IANA Character Sets registry

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 1:14 PM, "Martin J. Dürst"
<duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
> The statement
> "Historically encodings and their specifications (if any) were kept track of
> by the IANA Character Sets registry. This specification renders that
> registry obsolete."
> and potentially other sweeping statements in this spec have to be
> conditioned carefully so that they do not look like they affect other
> protocols such as electronic mail, where e.g. the distinction between true
> 7-bit US-ASCII and other encodings is crucial.

I'm not sure that matches our experience in implementing an email
client. There are some challenges specific to mail that have not been
fully explored, granted.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/