Re: [encoding] Last Call Comment: Arithmetic Right Shift

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM, "Martin J. Dürst"
<duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:
> Looking at the explanation about Arithmetic Shifts at
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic_shift, the exact effect of
> Arithmetic Right Shifts depends on the size of the data type.

Do you have a more specific pointer?

> I have not found any indication in the spec about the (minimal) size of the
> data type needed for the calculations to work correctly (sorry if I missed
> it). This could be 16 bits, or 32 bits, or potentially even more (e.g. for
> GB-18030).

It is only used by utf-8 and utf-16 and only on code points, so 21 bits.

> It would be highly desirable to indicate the minimum necessary width of the
> data type needed for correct operation.

I would prefer to avoid talking about the exact representation of the operand.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/