Re: [review feedback] qa-choosing-encodings

On 09/03/2014 07:57, Gunnar Bittersmann wrote:
> Under Background
> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-choosing-encodings-new#background:
>
> “There are many character encodings to choose from.”
>
> Then, under Answer / Choosing an encoding:
> “Choose UTF-8 for all content.”
>
> IMHO, saying “many character encodings to choose from” gives the wrong
> impression to the reader that they would have a choise. Actually, they
> don’t; they should use UTF-8.
>
> Suggestion: replace “There are many character encodings to choose from.”
> with “There are different character encodings.”

I removed the sentence altogether.

> around<del> </del>80%.
> ««
>
> Remove del markup.
Fixed.
> The HTML5 specification  <a
> href="http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-html5-20121217/document-metadata.html#charset">says</a>
>
> ««
>
> Link titles should speak for themselves; “says” does not.
>
> Make “The HTML5 specification” or “The HTML5 specification says” the
> link title.

> The HTML5 specification <a
> href="http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/semantics.html#charset">calls out</a>
> a number of encodings that you should avoid.
> ««
>
> Same here. Use “The HTML5 specification (calls out)” or even better “a
> number of encodings that you should avoid” as link title.

I don't want to make these changes. This is not a general link to the
HTML spec, just to the specific point which talks about the topic in
question. In some cases there may be a need to point to both, separately.

> Also, once you link to the HTML5 spec version from 2012-12-17, once to
> the HTML 5.1 Nightly editor’s draft?

Fixed.

Thanks,
RI