Re: Encoding: Referring people to a list of labels

lang.support@gmail.com> wrote:

>> ​I'm not sure what sense of "most" is meant.
>

> I was puzzling as to what that meant as well, until I saw the "I know of"
which allows one to put no interpretation at all on Andrew's statement,
unless utterly familiar with his personal exposure to legacy encodings. :)

Sorry I should have clarified.

I was speaking in terms of numbers of encodinds in use,  not in terms
volume of use of each encoding.

But off I speak in terms of encodings of translations Of government
information in community languages for government websites here in my
country,  then it is a more interesting picture.

All the languages that can be represented as legacy encodings supported by
browsers always come as Unicode documents.

While other languages may come as unsupported legacy encodings.

Some languages we have translated into Is guaranteed not to be in Unicode.

One of the underlying reasons that governent departments tend to deploy
translations as PDF files rather than as HTML.

But it also means this come by becomes problematic when searching.

>> If I said "most cases", I'd mean the number of web pages or emails using
that legacy encoding,

> That would be useful, but "cases" allows also to refer just to the
different encodings as such, not simply their usage. The rest of his
statement indicates that that might be what he meant.

>> perhaps weighted by the number of characters in the page. But the
Chinese encodings (as just one example) are many, many orders of magnitude
higher, for example, than any of the ones you mention. So in what sense do
you mean "most"?

http://googleblog.blogspot.ch/2012/02/unicode-over-60-percent-of-web.htmland