W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2014

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2014-05-29

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 17:41:02 +0100
Message-ID: <5387631E.4020308@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html



Text version:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

29 May 2014

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2014May/0009.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Addison, Richard, Mati, Koji

    Regrets
           JcK, David, Felix

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda
          2. [6]Action Items
          3. [7]Info Share
          4. [8]RADAR
          5. [9]Resolution to Publish Encoding as Last Call
          6. [10]Establish Encoding Last Call Period
          7. [11]CSS3 Text Comments
          8. [12]AOB?
      * [13]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Agenda

Action Items

    [14]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [14] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    action-113: richard spoke to aharon, won't probably work on it
    until html5 is stable

    <trackbot> Notes added to action-113 Work on tidying up
    Additional Requirements for Bidi in HTML & CSS over coming
    couple of months.

    close action-299

    <trackbot> Closed action-299.

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: forward tpac attendance survey thing
    to richard [recorded in
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-307 - Forward tpac attendance survey
    thing to richard [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-06-05].

    close action-303

    <trackbot> Closed action-303.

    close action-304

    <trackbot> Closed action-304.

    <r12a> [16]http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1083

      [16] http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1083

    close action-305

    <trackbot> Closed action-305.

    close action-306

    <trackbot> Closed action-306.

Info Share

    <r12a> [17]http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1037

      [17] http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1037

    <r12a> Typography questions for HTML & CSS:

    <r12a> Effect of markup and styling on cursive script (eg.
    Arabic)

    richard: people seeing my tweets
    ... so raising awareness via blog posts etc

    <r12a> Typography questions for HTML & CSS:

    <r12a> Korean line breaking rules

    <r12a> [18]http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1048

      [18] http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1048

    <r12a> Typography questions for HTML & CSS:

    <r12a> Arabic justification

    <r12a> [19]http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1059

      [19] http://rishida.net/blog/?p=1059

    richard: taken from a talk I gave at MLWeb conf
    ... sums up some questions we have
    ... has links to other's articles
    ... in addition to the IDN universal access thing

RADAR

    [20]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar#Schedule
    d_Last_Call_reviews

      [20] 
https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar#Scheduled_Last_Call_reviews

    Tracking DNT [21]http://www.w3.org/TR/tracking-dnt/

      [21] http://www.w3.org/TR/tracking-dnt/

    CSS Variables [22]http://www.w3.org/TR/css-variables-1/

      [22] http://www.w3.org/TR/css-variables-1/

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: ping new members if interested in
    reviewing [recorded in
    [23]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-308 - Ping new members if interested
    in reviewing [on Addison Phillips - due 2014-06-05].

Resolution to Publish Encoding as Last Call

    [24]http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-encoding-20140603/

      [24] http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-encoding-20140603/

    <scribe> chair: do we support publication of Encoding as a Last
    Call WD?

    <r12a> +1

    addison: yes

    <koji> +1

    <matial> +1, no pb

    <scribe> chair: resolved to publish

Establish Encoding Last Call Period

    richard: 1 July would be about a month
    ... need 3 weeks minimum
    ... and we need to get to CR by September
    ... have to deal with comment

    <scribe> chair: proposal is to end LC on 1 July 2014. All in
    favor?

    addison: +1

    <r12a> +1

    <matial> +1

    <koji> +1

    <scribe> chair: resolved to end LC on 1 July

    richard: will send pubreq tonight
    ... plh wanted status of testing

    addison: talked to anne about that, kind of a weak area

    <scribe> ACTION: addison: ping anne in writing about encoding
    tests seeking location(s) [recorded in
    [25]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-309 - Ping anne in writing about
    encoding tests seeking location(s) [on Addison Phillips - due
    2014-06-05].

CSS3 Text Comments

    [26]http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/2

      [26] http://www.w3.org/International/track/products/2

    richard: koji asked me to mention that they will produce a new
    versoin in the summer
    ... could we plan to review it over the summer?

    addison: absolutely

    richard: went through a lot of them
    ... think we can close many of them

    <r12a> [27]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/145

      [27] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/145

    close issue-145

    <trackbot> Closed issue-145.

    [28]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/308

      [28] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/308

    issue-309?

    <trackbot> issue-309 -- Haphazard use of term 'character' --
    open

    <trackbot> [29]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/309

      [29] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/309

    issue-310?

    <trackbot> issue-310 -- (editorial) consistency in refering to
    Unicode web site -- open

    <trackbot> [30]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/310

      [30] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/310

    close issue-310

    <trackbot> Closed issue-310.

    issue-311?

    <trackbot> issue-311 -- Clarity of Arabic hyphenation example
    -- open

    <trackbot> [31]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/311

      [31] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/311

    addison: uighur example?

    richard: john hudson sent you an example
    ... but on thread for issue-345

    close issue-311

    <trackbot> Closed issue-311.

    issue-312?

    <trackbot> issue-312 -- (editorial) distribute keyword
    description -- open

    <trackbot> [32]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/312

      [32] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/312

    close issue-312

    <trackbot> Closed issue-312.

    issue: 313?

    issue-313?

    <trackbot> issue-313 -- Definition of grapheme clusters -- open

    <trackbot> [33]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/313

      [33] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/313

    issue-314?

    <trackbot> issue-314 -- Line breaking and ruby -- open

    <trackbot> [34]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/314

      [34] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/314

    close issue-314

    <trackbot> Closed issue-314.

    issue-315?

    <trackbot> issue-315 -- Reference to line breaking in KLREQ --
    open

    <trackbot> [35]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/315

      [35] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/315

    close issue-315

    <trackbot> Closed issue-315.

    issue-316?

    <trackbot> issue-316 -- Line breaking defaults -- open

    <trackbot> [36]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/316

      [36] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/316

    koji: edits and feedback from wg
    ... david barron wants section to be testable
    ... suggestion we specify what ua has to do
    ... and make testable

    richard: think I got your email

    koji: oh, wait, different issue

    <r12a>
    [37]http://www.w3.org/International/tests/#css3-text-transform2

      [37] http://www.w3.org/International/tests/#css3-text-transform2

    richard: need to review
    ... need to determine situation regarding uax14 support

    issue-317?

    <trackbot> issue-317 -- Line breaking property and value names
    -- open

    <trackbot> [38]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/317

      [38] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/317

    richard: reordering done
    ... would have liked to have had an alias
    ... the current names have historical usage, per elika and koji

    close issue-317

    <trackbot> Closed issue-317.

    issue-318?

    <trackbot> issue-318 -- Tibetan line breaking & justification
    background info -- open

    <trackbot> [39]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/318

      [39] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/318

    close issue-318

    <trackbot> Closed issue-318.

    issue-319?

    <trackbot> issue-319 -- word-break 'according to usual rules'
    -- open

    <trackbot> [40]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/319

      [40] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/319

    close issue-319

    <trackbot> Closed issue-319.

    issue-320?

    <trackbot> issue-320 -- Example 6 -- open

    <trackbot> [41]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/320

      [41] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/320

    close issue-320

    <trackbot> Closed issue-320.

    issue-321?

    <trackbot> issue-321 -- Naming of "start end" -- open

    <trackbot> [42]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/321

      [42] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/321

    issue-322?

    <trackbot> issue-322 -- text-justify: auto should recommend
    international typographic accuracy -- open

    <trackbot> [43]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/322

      [43] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/322

    koji: this is the one I meant before (dbarron wants testable)
    ... should define best backward compatible algorithm or
    criteria

    richard: encouraging people to do right thing because hard to
    specify

    issue-323?

    <trackbot> issue-323 -- Figures 3 to 5 -- open

    <trackbot> [44]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/323

      [44] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/323

    issue-324?

    <trackbot> issue-324 -- distribute -> inter-character -- open

    <trackbot> [45]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/324

      [45] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/324

    [46]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2014A
    prJun/0146.html

      [46] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2014AprJun/0146.html

    <r12a> [47]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/323

      [47] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/323

    issue-324?

    <trackbot> issue-324 -- distribute -> inter-character -- open

    <trackbot> [48]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/324

      [48] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/324

    close issue-324

    <trackbot> Closed issue-324.

    issue-325?

    <trackbot> issue-325 -- expansion opportunity -> justification
    opportunity -- open

    <trackbot> [49]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/325

      [49] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/325

    close issue-325?

    <trackbot> Closed issue-325.

    issue-330?

    <trackbot> issue-330 -- Tasmeem example not clear -- open

    <trackbot> [50]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/330

      [50] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/330

    <koji>
    [51]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014May/0075.
    html

      [51] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014May/0075.html

    [52]http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#text-justify-property

      [52] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#text-justify-property

    richard: forward fantasai's email and then addison reply?

    addison: okay

    issue-331?

    <trackbot> issue-331 -- No kashida style or relationship to
    styles 'distribute' and 'inter-word' -- open

    <trackbot> [53]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/331

      [53] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/331

    issue-332?

    <trackbot> issue-332 -- Lack of complete kashida description --
    open

    <trackbot> [54]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/332

      [54] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/332

    issue-333?

    <trackbot> issue-333 -- 'letter-spacing' and Arabic -- open

    <trackbot> [55]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/333

      [55] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/333

    richard: example of indesign or similar
    ... there might be adjustments of the spaces inside words where
    the arabic letters don't actually physically join
    ... don't break letters apart

    "fi s h"

    issue-334?

    <trackbot> issue-334 -- 'letter-spacing' and Indic -- open

    <trackbot> [56]http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/334

      [56] http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/334

    richard: for justification, sometimes the font makes a
    difference

    [57]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2014A
    prJun/0089.html

      [57] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2014AprJun/0089.html

    koji: wg acks that not everything can be done correctly
    ... maybe do something like counter style
    ... where we externalize the different cases

    richard: maybe, for some things like kashida
    ... there are certain user preferences
    ... and CSS probably should provide the controls for user
    preferences

    addison: maybe be explicit about what is not currently
    supported?

    koji: maybe need something like ruby use cases: keep a list
    that is growing
    ... keep track of these items

    richard: koji, do you want us to reply to all closed comments
    saying we're satisfied?

    <scribe> ACTION: richard: send note to CSS about satisfaction
    on closed css3 text issues [recorded in
    [58]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-310 - Send note to css about
    satisfaction on closed css3 text issues [on Richard Ishida -
    due 2014-06-05].

AOB?

    <matial> Bye

    <scribe> Scribe: Addison Phillips

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: addison: forward tpac attendance survey thing to
    richard [recorded in
    [59]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: ping anne in writing about encoding
    tests seeking location(s) [recorded in
    [60]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: addison: ping new members if interested in
    reviewing [recorded in
    [61]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: richard: send note to CSS about satisfaction on
    closed css3 text issues [recorded in
    [62]http://www.w3.org/2014/05/29-i18n-minutes.html#action04]

    [End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 29 May 2014 16:41:32 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 21 September 2016 22:37:37 UTC