W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-international@w3.org > April to June 2014

[minutes] Internationalization telecon 2014-04-03

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 17:27:47 +0100
Message-ID: <53860E83.3020003@w3.org>
To: www International <www-international@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2014/04/03-i18n-minutes.html





Text version follows:


Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

03 Apr 2014

    [2]Agenda

       [2] 
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-i18n-core/2014Apr/0000.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2014/04/03-i18n-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Richard, JcK, Mati, Koji, David, Addison

    Regrets
           Felix, Jan

    Chair
           Addison Phillips

    Scribe
           Addison Phillips

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Action Items
          2. [6]Info Share
          3. [7]RADAR
          4. [8]Universal Access
          5. [9]next telecon
          6. [10]AOB?
      * [11]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

Action Items

    [12]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

      [12] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/open

    ACTION-81

    <trackbot> ACTION-81 -- Addison Phillips to Create blog post on
    what's going on with IRI -- due 2011-11-23 -- OPEN

    <trackbot> [13]http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/81

      [13] http://www.w3.org/International/track/actions/81

    [14]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/IRIStatus

      [14] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/IRIStatus

    close action-239

    <trackbot> Closed action-239.

    close action-293

    <trackbot> Closed action-293.

    close action-294

    <trackbot> Closed action-294.

    close action-296

    <trackbot> Closed action-296.

Info Share

    JcK: URN document will probably be posted tomorrow or monday
    ... first step
    ... remove URNs from category of URIs

    richard: two best practices documents out for review currently
    ... for two weeks from now

    Richard: working group extended for two years until end 2015

RADAR

    [15]https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

      [15] https://www.w3.org/International/wiki/Review_radar

Universal Access

    JcK: ICANN topic in an ICANN committee

    richard: can you send link to the list?
    ... trying to follow IRI/URI/IDNA thing
    ... Don Hollander sent me a ping
    ... issue is that
    ... IDNA works technically, but purchasers are unhappy
    ... because they aren't well supported widely away from the
    core DNS

    <scribe> ScribeNick: aphillip

    Richard: getting wide range of stakeholders together to discuss
    universal deployment of IDNs
    ... and further discussion at MLWeb conf

    JcK: Don is trying to raise visibility
    ... some folks think this could work "by magic" and others want
    it to be improved
    ... another problem is that (particularly in china) that there
    is non-UTF-8 content unlabelled or wrongly labelled
    ... some of this stuff is "hard"
    ... for example, mail fixes requires work on mail transports
    ... in IMAP and POP clients
    ... problem occurs when you read community boundary
    ... MUAs run into problems crossing script boundaries
    ... not to mention use of IDNs for spoofing

    <r12a> companies can change their policies to accept idn
    identifiers, but you may not be able to type it in to an
    airport terminal

    addison: could solve the IDNA bit in isolation
    ... but not the non-host part of URI or the local part of
    email, etc.

    JcK: if you know the A label form you can use that (the
    punycode form)
    ... might be solved by having a smartphone app to conver to
    ascii
    ... the system is worldwide
    ... but this solves communicating inside communities
    ... say China-to-China
    ... or Arabic-to-Arabic
    ... but hard when you start to go Arabic-to-Chinese

    addison: most systems can *read* or display the data

    richard: who are the players. what's going on, what the issues
    are

    addison start our own list of the problems?

next telecon

    see you in two weeks

AOB?

Summary of Action Items

    [End of minutes]
Received on Wednesday, 28 May 2014 16:28:17 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 22:41:05 UTC