Re: New FAQ Article for review [I18N-ACTION-260]

Thanks for the comments and the proposed text, Felix.

On 08/10/2013 15:10, Felix Sasaki wrote:
> Apologies for the late review. This is a very useful document and will
> help to increase the usage of the "translate" attribute significantly. A
> few suggestions.
>
> 1)
> " Localization groups may also use external files to point to markup
> that should not be translated (among other things). A way of doing this
> is described by the Internationalization Tag Set (ITS)
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/its20/> specification. Localizers may set up these
> rules in consultation with the content developers."
>
> The mechanism described here is not only for localizers consulting
> content developers; sometimes content developers would specify the
> rules, for usage by various localizers. It could then be a "selling
> point" for the content developer: "my web site (template) is easier /
> faster to localize".
> Also, the difference to the translate attribute is that you can set up
> these rules once for several documents. So I'd propose to re-write this
> like the below:
>
> "You may also want to point to several pieces of markup in one document
> or even for a group of documents that should not be translated (among
> other things). For example you may want to express that all "code"
> elements on your Web site should not be translated. A way of expressing
> such rules is described by the <a
> href="http://www.w3.org/TR/its20/#EX-translate-selector-1">Internationalization
> Tag Set (ITS) specification</a>. Content developers and localizers may
> work closely together in setting up these rules to achieve a faster and
> better localization process."

I came up with a new paragraph slightly different from your proposed
text, but I think it captures the messages you wanted to get across.

> 2)
> "standards such as XLIFF": add a link to
> https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=xliff

Done.

> 3)
> I am wondering whether one should mention somewhere: the translate
> attribute will also be recognized by tools (both the online MT tools
> mentioned as well as tools described in the "Metadata for the
> Multilingual Web - Usage Scenarios and Implementations" document) if an
> older HTML version is used.
>
> Sure, HTML 4.01 or XHTML won't validate (so we don't want to recommend
> this) - but this won't break the tools digesting the "translate"
> attribute. The point is that people who may not be able to switch e.g. a
> whole site to HTML5 still have can use the translate attribute.

I think that content developers will figure that out for themselves,
since that's really the philosophy behind HTML5 anyway.  So I didn't add
extra text about this.

RI