RE: [css-fonts-3] i18n-ISSUE-296: Usable characters in unicode-range

Anne wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 5:46 AM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
> > Hmmm.  "Valid Unicode codepoint" seems fine to me, it's talking about
> > the codepoint, not whether there's a character represented by that or not.
> > But I'm not going to quibble, I've updated the spec to remove the term.
>
> Well the difference matters. Can we render any code point, or do we only
> render Unicode scalar values (code points minus lone surrogates).
> I'm kinda hoping the latter, but I'm pretty sure in Gecko at least it's the former.
> Whether unicode-range should support lone surrogates might be separate from
> that I suppose.

The difference matters in some cases, but probably not in this case. The unicode-range feature exists to allow a range of characters to be specified. It would be hugely painful if we forced users to skip around non-character code points (such as surrogates or, for example, U+FFFF). It would be silly to use unicode ranges to say that your font supported, say, the range 0xD800 to 0xD9FF, but it isn't necessary to prohibit it.

Addison