Re: [css3-writing-modes] character orientation and text-combine-horizontal (was: [css3-writing-modes] i18n-ISSUE-275: Digit 1)

Koji Ishii wrote:

> The spec says:
>
> # When combining text as for Œtext-combine-horizontal: all¹, the glyphs
> # of the combined text are composed horizontally (ignoring
> # Œletter-spacing¹ and any forced line breaks, but using the specified
> # font settings), similar to the contents of an inline-box with a
> # horizontal writing mode and a line-height of 1em.
>
> And text-orientation says:
>
> # Current values only have an effect in vertical writing modes; the
> # property has no effect on elements in horizontal writing modes.
>
> So glyphs should appear in upright.
>
> Do you think we need to add more clarification?

Yes. The spec says how they are *composed* but doesn't indicate the
orientation of the resulting formation.  From an authoring model point
of view, the resulting composition becomes an upright glyph within a
vertical run.  It should remain that way independent of the value of
the 'text-orientation' property.  I guess you could define it by
saying that tatechuyoko runs are some mini horizontal writing submode
but I think it's simpler just to say it's upright and the value of
text-orientation doesn't affect it's orientation.

Funky smart quotes by the way, nice effect!

Cheers,

John Daggett