Re: I18N-ISSUE-188: special handling of % in IRI [TURTLE]

On 2012/09/08 0:49, Internationalization Core Working Group Issue
Tracker wrote:
> I18N-ISSUE-188: special handling of % in IRI [TURTLE]
>
> http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/188
>
> Raised by: Addison Phillips
> On product: TURTLE
>
> http://www.w3.org/2012/08/22-i18n-minutes.html#item05
>
> Section 6.4 contains this Note:
>
> --
> %-encoded sequences are in the character range for IRIs and are explicitly allowed in local names. These appear as a '%' followed by two hex characters and represent that same sequence of three characters. These sequences are not decoded during processing. A term written as<http://a.example/%66oo-bar>  in Turtle designates the IRI http://a.example/%66oo-bar and not IRI http://a.example/foo-bar. A term written as ex:%66oo-bar with a prefix @prefix ex:<http://a.example/>  also designates the IRI http://a.example/%66oo-bar.
> --
>
> We don't understand why you do this. Can you clarify?

I'm not speaking for the RDF/TURTLE WG, but RDF (and therefore TURTLE)
are doing IRI comparisons strictly character-by-character (see e.g.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3987#section-5.3.1), the same as it is
done in XML Namespaces.

It would probably help if this was pointed out more explicitly in the
above text.

Regards,    Martin.