Re: bidi embedding for block-level elements

On Friday 2010-07-23 16:16 -0700, Asmus Freytag wrote:
> The ceiling on embeddings in the bidi algorithm was invented in an
> attempt to prevent implementations from taking shortcuts and setting
> their own ceiling. 60 some levels was thought to be small enough
> that any implementation could handle it, and yet inconceivably large
> for practical cases. However, the limit is on bidi levels, not on
> the number of embeddings. It occurs to me that in some contexts,
> levels could increment by 2. Might be worth someone checking in the
> bidi specification under what circumstances that occurs, and whether
> that means the worst case nesting limit is lower.

In the case Ian raised, I'd think embedding level would normally
increment by 2, since there are no directionality changes, and an
LTR (RTL) embedding bumps the embedding level to the next higher
even (odd) embedding level.

So bidi would start breaking down inside the 32nd nested <div
style="display:inline">.

-David