RE: For review: Character encodings in HTML and CSS

Hi, I really liked most of Najib's suggestions, with the exception of one or two.

From: Najib Tounsi <ntounsi@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 23:45:05 +0000

 > 7- § Pros and cons of using the HTTP header for encoding declarations /
> (http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/temp#Slide0130)
> . . .
> - So should I use this method? (next <p>)
>"the file may be changed by an intermediary before it reaches the user
> [...], you may particularly want to consider using the HTTP declaration."
> May be
> "the file may be changed by an intermediary before it reaches the user
> [...], you may particularly want to consider using the HTTP declaration,
> SINCE IT IS CHANGED ACCORDINGLY."
Personally Najib, I think that the fact that is it changed is clear from "changed by an intermediary . . ." but suit yourself.
> - your following remark:
> "(Some people would argue that it is rarely appropriate to declare the
> encoding in the HTTP header if you are going to repeat it in the content
> of the document. In this case, they are proposing that the HTTP header
> say nothing about the document encoding. Note that this would usually
> mean taking action to disable any server defaults.)"
> may be
> "(Some people would argue that it is rarely appropriate to declare the
> encoding in the HTTP header if you are going to repeat it in the content
> of the document. In this case, they are proposing that the HTTP header
> say nothing about the document encoding, OR THAT THE DECLARATION INSIDE
> THE DOCUMENT TAKE PRECEDENCE. AFTER ALL IT IS WHAT THE AUTHOR WANTS.
> Note that this would usually mean taking action to disable any server
> defaults.)"
I like R. I.'s wording in this case!  Sorry Najib but your wording here is a bit confusing;
I'm not sure we need to know that 'this is what the author wants' after all.

Otherwise, I like all your comments!  And hope they get in!
Best,
C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com