Re: For review: Character encodings in HTML and CSS

Hi Richard,

Please find below some feedbacks about " Character encodings in HTML and
CSS"

1- § Character sets, coded character sets, and encodings
(http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/temp#Slide0060)
"A coded character set is a set of characters for which a unique number
has been assigned to each character. Units of a coded character set are
known as code points."
I suggest to add that the value assigned to each character corresponds
to its position in the coded character set. Indeed, later on you mention
this position when you talk about encoding:
"the encoding is a straightforward mapping to the scalar position of the
characters in the coded character set." for (ISO 8859-1).
"the first line of numbers represents the position of a character in the
Unicode coded character set" for Unicode.
However, in a set there is no particular order in general.

2- Typo
s/A character escape is an  way of representing/A character escape is a
way of representing/

3- § Applying an encoding to your content
(http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/temp#applyingencoding)
"As a content author you need to check that your editor or scripts are
saving text in the encoding of your choice."
I suggest
"As a content author you need to check that your editor or scripts are
saving text in the encoding YOU EXPECT OR LET YOU SELECT THE ONE of your
choice."

4- § CSS
(http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/temp#csssummary)
- May be s/non-ASCII/non-US-ASCII/.
- "you should use the @charset rule as the first thing on the page."
May be say "you should use the @charset rule as the first thing on the
page, SET TO THE SAME ENCODING AS THE CORRESPO?DING HTML PAGE."
(BTW, it's worth to test what happens when the two encodings are
declared not the same. Does all browsers agree?)

5- § What is the HTTP header?
(http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/temp#httpheadwhat)
Not very important, but in the script example:
"Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 10:46:04 GMT"
use a more recent date?

6- § MIME types and DOCTYPE switching
(http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/temp#Slide0150)
- 5th <p>
"Unfortunately, Internet Explorer currently doesn't support files served
as XML"
is the word "currently" still accurate?
- 9th <p>
"The orange MIME-type labels are not recommended."
"The orange MIME-type labels (the two at the bottom) are not recommended."
because when reading a non colored printed version :-)

7- § Pros and cons of using the HTTP header for encoding declarations /
(http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/temp#Slide0130)
- Advanages (end of 1st item)
"it doesn't matter that transcoders typically do not change the internal
encoding declarations, just the document encoding."
"it doesn't matter that transcoders typically do not change the internal
encoding declarations, just the document encoding (AND THE HTTP
INFORMATION WHICH GOES WITH IT)."
- Disadvantages (3rd item)
"There are potential problems for both static and dynamic documents if
they are to be saved to a location such as a CD or hard disk."
"There are potential problems for both static and dynamic documents if
they are NOT READ ON A SERVER (e.g. THEY WERE saved to a location such
as a CD or hard disk)."
- So should I use this method? (next <p>)
"the file may be changed by an intermediary before it reaches the user
[...], you may particularly want to consider using the HTTP declaration."
May be
"the file may be changed by an intermediary before it reaches the user
[...], you may particularly want to consider using the HTTP declaration,
SINCE IT IS CHANGED ACCORDINGLY."
- your following remark:
"(Some people would argue that it is rarely appropriate to declare the
encoding in the HTTP header if you are going to repeat it in the content
of the document. In this case, they are proposing that the HTTP header
say nothing about the document encoding. Note that this would usually
mean taking action to disable any server defaults.)"
may be
"(Some people would argue that it is rarely appropriate to declare the
encoding in the HTTP header if you are going to repeat it in the content
of the document. In this case, they are proposing that the HTTP header
say nothing about the document encoding, OR THAT THE DECLARATION INSIDE
THE DOCUMENT TAKE PRECEDENCE. AFTER ALL IT IS WHAT THE AUTHOR WANTS.
Note that this would usually mean taking action to disable any server
defaults.)"

8- § The Content-Type meta element
(http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/temp#metacontenttype)
Typo at 1st line
s/should used/should be used/

9- § The XML declaration
(http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/temp#xmldeclaration)
- 2nd script example (...xml:lang="en" lang="en"...)
To be consistent, I suggest other language tag than "en". Reader may
wonder why to care about encoding, since "en" is US-ASCII and thus
compatible with UTF-8.

10- § CSS's @charset rule
 (
http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/temp#atcharset)
s/non-ASCII/non-US-ASCII/

11- § Precedence rules
(http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/temp#Slide0400)
Precedence rules for linked CSS style sheets. What is the rule if the
in-document HTML encoding is not the same as the one declared in
external CSS?

12- § What do I need to know about normalization?
 (http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/temp#n11nhow)
-3rd <p>
"Most keyboards for European languages output text in NFC already, but
this is less likely to be the case if dealing with many non-European
languages."
May be add "Mostly because (pre-)composed characters are not present in
(some) non-European keyboards" or somthing like.

Regards,
Najib

--
Najib TOUNSI (tounsi at w3.org)