Re: For review: Character encodings in HTML and CSS

CE Whitehead wrote:
> Hi, I really liked most of Najib's suggestions, with the exception of
> one or two.
>
> From: Najib Tounsi <ntounsi@gmail.com <mailto:ntounsi@gmail.com>>
> Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 23:45:05 +0000
>

>  > 7- § Pros and cons of using the HTTP header for encoding declarations /
> >
> (http://www.w3.org/International/tutorials/tutorial-char-enc/temp#Slide0130)
> > . . .
> > - So should I use this method? (next <p>)
> >"the file may be changed by an intermediary before it reaches the user
> > [...], you may particularly want to consider using the HTTP
> declaration."
> > May be
> > "the file may be changed by an intermediary before it reaches the user
> > [...], you may particularly want to consider using the HTTP
> declaration,
> > SINCE IT IS CHANGED ACCORDINGLY."
> Personally Najib, I think that the fact that is it changed is clear
> from "changed by an intermediary . . ." but suit yourself.
> > - your following remark:
> > "(Some people would argue that it is rarely appropriate to declare the
> > encoding in the HTTP header if you are going to repeat it in the
> content
> > of the document. In this case, they are proposing that the HTTP header
> > say nothing about the document encoding. Note that this would usually
> > mean taking action to disable any server defaults.)"
> > may be
> > "(Some people would argue that it is rarely appropriate to declare the
> > encoding in the HTTP header if you are going to repeat it in the
> content
> > of the document. In this case, they are proposing that the HTTP header
> > say nothing about the document encoding, OR THAT THE DECLARATION INSIDE
> > THE DOCUMENT TAKE PRECEDENCE. AFTER ALL IT IS WHAT THE AUTHOR WANTS.
> > Note that this would usually mean taking action to disable any server
> > defaults.)"
> I like R. I.'s wording in this case!  Sorry Najib but your wording
> here is a bit confusing;
> I'm not sure we need to know that 'this is what the author wants'
> after all.

Hi Catherine,

Of course my English is very approximate. In fact, I just wanted to
express the idea (besides R. I.'s note) that some people may also want
that the declaration inside a document take precedence. Is this what
the author wants, is my personal opinion.

Best,
Najib

--
Najib TOUNSI (tounsi at w3.org)