RE: Updated Working Draft: Best Practices for Authoring HTML: Handling Right-to-left Scripts

Mati, many thanks for these extremely helpful comments.  New version
viewable at http://www.w3.org/International/docs/bp-html-bidi/

RI

Fixed.

> 2) In 1.2.1, "they way" => "the way", "see read" => "read"

Fixed.

> 3) In 1.2.2, there is a singular reference to a "Get more information"
link,
> but the next sentence uses a plural reference "These will link".

Fixed.

> 4) In 1.4, "The opposite of a block element is a block element" => "The
> opposite of an inline element is a block element"

Fixed.

> 5) In 2.1,  'Bidirectional', or 'bidi', text typically refers to text
> written using a mixture of right-to-left and left-to-right text.
> Text is not written using text.  Maybe it should be "using a mixture of
> right-to-left and left-to-right scripts".

Fixed.

> 6) In 2.1, "it's examples" => "its examples"

Fixed.

> 7) In 2.1, "Pheonician" => "Phenician" ?

Actually I think that's correct as is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenician_alphabet

> 8) In 3.1, I suggest "the overall context of your editor" => "the base
> direction of the editing window in your editor"
> In general, I suggest to replace mentions of "context" or "overall
context"
> throughout the document by "direction" or "base direction", because
> "context" is a fuzzy notion without a well defined meaning for the subject
> at hand, while "direction" is easily translatable to HTML or CSS keywords.

Fixed.

> 9) In 3.1 Example 2,
> should be (missing bracket):

Fixed.

> 10) In 3.2, the numeric equivalent for &rlm; must be &#x200F (and not
> &#x200E, which is the equivalent of &lrm;).
> Same thing for 2 references in the explanation text of Example 5 and 3
> references in the yellow window of Example 5.

Fixed.

> 11) In 3.2 Example 5, "the escape fragments to appear" => "the escape
> fragments will appear"

Fixed, but slightly differently:
the escape is broken into fragments, and appears as x200F;text in english#&
or

> 12) In section 5 and Best Practice 3, I suggest to use "page" rather than
> "document", because this is more precise.

Fixed.

> 13) In section 5, Best Practice 3, Discussion: "browser chrome" is not a
> widely understood term, especially for Internet Explorer users.

Do you have a suggestion for an alternative?

> 14)  In section 5, Best Practice 4, Discussion: saying that "Visually
> ordered bidirectional HTML does not conform to the HTML specification"
> may
> be too strong.  The BDO tag handles visually ordered bidirectional text.

I added "unless bdo markup is used" (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/dirlang.html#bidi88598)

> 15) In section 5, Best Practice 4, Discussion: "flowing text that
> automatically wrap" => "flowing text that automatically wraps"

Fixed.

> 16) In Best Practice 4, ISO code pages:  "all characters in memory in the
> order in which it would normally be typed" => "all characters in memory
are
> stored in the order in which they would normally be typed"

Fixed.

> 17) In Best Practice 4, ISO code pages: either do not mention ISO-8859-e
or
> add a note that it is not supported by any common browser.

Fixed.

> 18) In Best Practice 5, the title "Don't use CSS styling for HTML" is
> misleading: it is only for specifying direction that CSS styling should be
> avoided.

Fixed.

> 19) In Example 10, it is not clear why some, and not all, of the lines
with
> Arabic text are right-aligned.

Hmm. That's a problem when creating readable examples of code ;-)  The lines
I expected to wrap were right aligned.  So I redid that example so that all
the Arabic text is right-aligned, and all the markup left-aligned.

> 20) In Example 13, "This is what we should have seen. the key to web
> standards" => "This is what we should have seen."

Fixed.

> 21) In the following note, "Best Practice XX" => "Best Practice <some real
> number>"

Fixed.

> 22) In the next sentence, "you are probably more likely encounter" => "you
> are more likely to encounter"

Fixed.

> 23) In Example 15, "This is what we should have seen is this." => "This is
> what we should have seen."

Fixed.

> 24) At the end of Example 15:  "which associates it" => "which associates
> them"

Fixed.

> 25) After Example 16, "because of the likelihood" => "because of the small
> likelihood"

I changed to " because of the likelihood of Latin text showing up in
languages written with the Arabic or Hebrew scripts", referring to such
things as acronyms, org names, link text to English documents, etc.

> 26) In Example 17, "To solve the problem we add a LRM character" => "To
> solve the problem we add a RLM character"

Fixed.

Thanks again!

RI