Re: Weird bidi behavior?

Hello Mati,

Many thanks for your very quick and precise answer.

Thinking over dinner and breakfast (or some other similar
occasions between my two work days), I started to suspect
as much as you confirm below.

At 07:22 08/08/28, Matitiahu Allouche wrote:

>   Hello, Martin!
>
>It seems to me that it is working as designed.

But would we be able to say that it works as intended?

Of course, intent is difficult to capture, but my guess
would be that to a large number of people, a LTR embedding
is something very inherently and strongly LTR, and should
therefore behave as such to the outside.

Also, one could immagine that it would be desirable to
have the following preservation property of the bidi
algorithm: If a sequence of strong LTR characters
(or, a sequence of characters displayed currently as
LTR) is wrappend in an LTR embedding, the display order
doesn't change (and of course, same for RTL). The current
behavior clearly doesn't exhibit this preservation property.

Do you (or anybody else) have any idea why the algorithm is
designed this way? Was this aspect overlooked? Are there other
considerations that justify this behavior? Would it be too
difficult to describe an algorithm that exhibited the above
preservation property? Is this case too rare in practice to
be relevant?

Regards,    Martin.